Federal  Register /  Vol. 58,  No. 16  / Wednesday,  January 27,  1993 /
   Notices                                                             6295
   ________________________________________________________________________

   Notice  of Completion of Inventory of Native American Human Remains from
   Gunther  Island,  California,  in  the  Possession  of  the   California
   Department of Parks and Recreation.

   AGENCY:   National Park Service, Interior.

   ACTION:   Notice.
   ________________________________________________________________________

     Notice  is hereby given  in accordance  with provisions  of the Native
   American Graves Protection  and Repatriation Act, 25 U.S.C.  3003(d), of
   the  completion of the inventory  of human remains  from Gunther Island,
   California,  in the possession of the California Department of Parks and
   Recreation.  Representatives of culturally affiliated Indian tribes  are
   advised that these  human remains will be retained by  the Department at
   its  headquarters facility until February 26, 1993, after which they may
   be repatriated to the culturally affiliated group.
     The detailed inventory and assessment of  these human remains has been
   made by the California Department of Parks and Recreation curatorial and
   archeological staff,  contract specialists in  physical anthropology and
   prehistoric archeology, and representatives of the Blue Lake  Rancheria,
   Rohnerville Rancheria (also called the  Bear River Mattole Wiyot Tribe),
   and the Table Bluff Reservation of the Wiyot Indians.
     The human remains consist of a  skull and mandible recovered  from CA-
   HUM-67, a village site on Humboldt  Bay about two miles north of Eureka,
   California.  The  antiquity of  these remains has  not been  determined.
   These remains were possibly  excavated by H.H. Stuart, a  Eureka dentist
   who  excavated 382 graves during the  1920s, 1930s, and 1940s, and sold,
   traded, or gave  away the recovered bones and  artifacts.  These remains
   were acquired by the State Indian Museum between 1927-1950.
     The  village site  from which  the  remains  were recovered  was known
   historically   as  Tolowot.     Archeological  and  historical  evidence
   indicates   that  the   Tolowot  village   site  was   occupied  between
   approximately  900  A.D.  and  1860  when  its  Wiyot  inhabitants  were
   massacred  by American settlers.  There are no indications of occupation
   of the site by any other group.
     This notice  has been sent  to officials of  the Blue Lake  Rancheria,
   Rohnerville  Rancheria, and  the Table  Bluff  Reservation of  the Wiyot
   Indians.    Representatives of  any  other Indian  Tribe  which believes
   itself  to be  culturally  affiliated with  these  human remains  should
   contact Pauline Grenbeaux Spear, Committee on Repatriation, P.O. 942896,
   Sacramento CA 94296-0001, (916) 324-6800 before February 26, 1993.

     Dated: January 22, 1993

   Francis P. McManamon
   Departmental Consulting Archeologist
   Chief, Archeological Assistance Division
   [FR Doc 93-1995 Filed 1-26-93; 8:45 am]
   BILLING CODE 4310-70-M

Back to the top

Back to National-NAGPRA