The Masonic Temple Building was the first reinforced concrete skyscraper erected in the state of North Carolina. Built from 1907 to 1909, it represents Raleigh’s growth in the early years of the 20th century, as well as the rise of the Masons as an important fraternal organization. Designed by South Carolina architect Charles McMillan, the building was hailed upon completion for its innovative construction. The use of reinforced concrete was then a new concept in building materials, combining relative low cost, fireproofing abilities and malleability. Architecturally, the seven-story building is a conservative, classicized example of the tri-partite skyscraper composition developed by Louis Sullivan, which emulates the three elements of a classical column: base, shaft and capital. The building is faced in Indiana limestone up to the third floor, with light brick used for the rest of the building, and ornamented with terracotta.
The Masonic Temple Building is located at 133-135 Fayetteville Street. Ground floor tenants and upper floor offices are open during regular working hours.
Comments or Questions