Pilot House Flap
Not included in the original blueprints for constructing the City Class Gunboats, these heavy square iron flaps were called Pilot House Flaps. They were added to the gunboat to protect the gunboat's pilots from snipers. Straps were riveted on each side and an iron bar went through holes in the
top of the straps to allow opening and closing.
Iron L 36.2, W 36.2, Plate Th .79, Strap W 5.1 cm, Bar Dia 1.6 cm
Vicksburg National Military Park , VICKC 1649