|Click image to enlarge||
eorge Washington used the Ford Mansion as his military headquarters during the bitter winter of 1779-1780. A century later preservation-minded citizens saved the mansion from an uncertain fate. In 1873 the group bid $25,000 at an auction and saved the old landmark. They expected to hold the property in trust until the state of New Jersey could acquire it as a historical site. However, the legislature opted not to take over the house.
|s a result of the Association's efforts, the scope of the National Park Service was broadened to include historical sites. On March 2, 1933, President Herbert Hoover signed the legislation establishing Morristown as the first National Historical Park.|
|<_Prev Page||Next Page_>|