Colorized photo of East side of town square in 1858.
By the 1850s, Springfield was growing city, the capital of Illinois, and boasted a bustling downtown square built around the Capitol building. Behind the trees in the center of the block was Marine Bank where Lincoln banked, and the Sangamon County Courthouse, not visible in this colorized photograph originally taken in 1858.
Paper. H 9, W 14 cm
Lincoln Home National Historic Site, LIHO 10289