Neoclassical style; 1810-1825
Original to the Drawing Room, this chandelier conforms closely to a design in Thomas Hope's Household Furniture and Interior Decoration (London, 1807), plate 42, which the antiquarian described as “Elevation and plan of a bronze gilt chandelier, ornamented with drops, prisms, etc. of cut glass.” The candle arms stood alone until around 1850 when the fixture was adapted for gaslight through the insertion of piping; it was subsequently electrified when electricity was introduced to Hampton in 1929.
Glass, bronze, brass. H 167, W 78.6 cm
Hampton National Historic Site, HAMP 1178