Double-arm Argand Lamp
Neoclassical style; 1815-1825
The recently invented Argand lamp was in wide use in the homes of the well-to-do in the United States by the 1810s. This lamp and the matching pair of single-arm lamps were originally purchased by Governor John Eager Howard for his home Belvidere and subsequently were bought at his estate sale by Governor Charles Carnan Ridgely.
Glass, bronze, brass. H 65.5, 61, D 18.5 cm
Hampton National Historic Site, HAMP 1166