Rococo Revival style; 1840-1860
This extraordinary fixture is a “gasolier,” originally made to use piped coal gas rather than candles. Its ornate design features an imported Chinese vase and gilt bronze arms with cast rams’ heads at the base. Perhaps purchased by the Ridgelys during their trips to France in 1846-1848 or 1852, it has hung in Hampton’s Music Room since then.
Glass, porcelain, bronze, brass, iron. H 152, W 61 cm
Hampton National Historic Site, HAMP 1124