View of the Hampton Orangery
The Orangery, a c.1830 Greek revival structure, was built to house citrus and other tender fruits which could not survive a Maryland winter outside. During the mid-19th century, the Orangery housed one of the finest citrus collections in the U.S . The Ridgelys encircled the Great Terrace during the summer with over 40 lemon and orange trees, potted in tubs and paneled boxes. These plants were transferred to the Orangery for the winter.
Gelatin Print on Paper. H 8.6, W 8.9 cm
Hampton National Historic Site, HAMP 44224