Lady's Slipper Chair
Rococo Revival style, 1858
Baltimore; made by Robert Renwick (fl. 1835-1876)
This small chair with its superb carved ornamentation is attributed to the shop of Baltimore’s leading cabinetmaker of the third quarter of the 19th century on the basis of a surviving bill in the Ridgely archives. In January 1858, Eliza Ridgely was billed by Robert Renwick for “…one Lady’s Chair in Fancy Plush…30.00.” The naturalistic carving featuring roses, morning glories, and other flowers reflects Eliza’s love of horticulture. The chair can be seen in historic photos of the Music Room at Hampton in the late 19th century, it’s location today.
Rosewood and other woods. H 103.5, W 50.8, D 49.1 cm
Hampton National Historic Site, HAMP 2945