Chamber Chair (one of a pair)
Renaissance Revival, 1873
Baltimore; made by Robert Renwick & Sons (fl. 1865-1889)
Originally one of four chairs that were part of a large and costly bed room suite that purchased in October 1873 by Margaretta Ridgely as a wedding present for her eldest son John and his bride, Helen West Stewart. The suite was comprised of a bedstead, bureau, washstand, commode, wardrobe, rocker, lounge, and cornices. The Renwick firm made furniture for the Ridgely family over four decades in the 19th century. According to family lore, the high Victorian style of the suite was so disliked by later generations of Ridgelys in the mid 20th century that the set was broken up and used as firewood. This pair of chairs and a washstand with pink marble top survived the flames.
Walnut. H 92.8, W 47.6, L 38.1 cm
Hampton National Historic Site, HAMP 18706