Federal style, 1810-1830
Baltimore; attributed to William Camp
This massive piece has housed a large portion of Hampton’s library since the early 19th century. It has been in use in the Music Room since at least the middle of that century and still contains many of the same books recorded by a 1872 inventory. Charles Carnan Ridgely purchased it for Hampton, probably at the shop of William Camp (fl. 1801-1822), who was considered the best cabinetmaker in Baltimore in his time.
Mahogany, poplar, white pine. H 240, W 245.1, D 49.5 cm
Hampton National Historic Site, HAMP 1148