Side chair (one of 14)
Late Neoclassical (Empire) style, 1832
Baltimore; made by John Finlay (fl. 1799-1840)
The “14 Hollow back framed chairs without Damask for seats @ 11… $154.00” are as unusual in their design as the sofa from the set. The black ground color with gilt ornamentation imitates the dark ebony furniture with ormolu (gilt bronze) mounts that was fashionable in early 19th century France. The swan motif so prominent on the sofa can be seen on the lyre-shaped back splat of the chairs. The painted sofa and chairs were in use in Hampton’s Drawing Room until about 1880, when they were moved to the adjacent Great Hall. They were returned to their original location in the 1930s.
White pine, maple, and gum. H 84.1, W 48, D 43.2 cm
Hampton National Historic Site, HAMP 2892