Red Cross Relief Hotel # 3 (Kernville House)
The Kernville House was the second relief hotel built in Johnstown after the flood. Completed in August of 1889, it was located on Somerset Street across the river from Johnstown in Kernville. It provided housing for local working class families, unlike the Locust St. Hotel that was built for the civic leaders and their families.
A two story house measuring about 50 by 116 feet, it had 34 - 36 rooms. These included a kitchen, laundry, dining room and bathrooms with hot and cold running water. It was heated with natural gas. According to tradition, some of the lumber from this building was used in the construction of the Glen Echo house.
Handwritten in ink across top boarder, “Johnstown Pa. Flood – May, 31 – 1889 – [?] Relief work” and on bottom boarder “M[ain] Hall in Red Cross House for families. No 8” Also marked on image, “Hall in Kernville House”.
Paper. H 20.5, W 25.3 cm
Clara Barton National Historic Site, CLBA 69