|Map; A Plan of Arlington Estate on the Potomack River
Details on this map show the land of Maria Syphax, the cabin, chapel, slave cabins with names, Arlington Springs buildings, slave cemetery, and the house of overseer, John McQuinas. It was drawn by the Army, based on accounts of some Lee slaves and their descendents, as well as old records and maps.
Former slaves provided valuable information to army researchers after legislation was passed to restore Arlington House in 1925. The former slaves were the only people still living who had a memory of the estate prior to the Civil War, as the last of the Lee family, daughter Mary, died in 1918.
Paper. L 99.4, W 75 cm
Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial, ARHO 283