National Park Service
Return to Maritime home page
Inventory of Historic Light Stations
Washington Lighthouses
Back to Inventory - Home Page
Back to Inventory - List of Washington Lighthouses
NEW DUNGENESS LIGHT

State: WASHINGTON
Location: DUNGENESS SPIT / ST. OF JUAN DE FUCA
Nearest City: SEQUIM
County: CLALLAM
U.S.C.G. District: 13
Year Station Established: 1857



Existing Historic Tower:
  • Year Light First Lit: 1857
  • Is the Light Operational? YES
  • Date Deactivated: N/A
  • Automated: 1976
  • Foundation Materials: SANDSTONE BLOCKS
  • Construction Materials: SANDSTONE/BRICK/STUCCO
  • Markings/Patterns: WHITE W/WHITE LANTERN & RED ROOF
  • Shape: CONICAL
  • Relationship to Other Structures: INTEGRAL
  • Tower Height: 63
  • Original Optic: THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL
  • Year Original Lens Installed: 1857
  • Present Optic: VRB-25
  • Year Present Lens Installed: 1998
  • Height of Focal Plane: 67
  • Fresnel Lens Disposition: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL ON DISPLAY U.S. COAST GUARD MUSEUM NORTHWEST, SEATTLE
  • Has tower been moved? NO
Previous Tower(s): N/A

Modern Tower? NO

Existing Sound Signal Building? YES
  • Year Constructed: 1927
  • Construction Materials: BRICK
  • Architectural Style:
  • Fog Signal Type: DUAL FA-232/ORIG. BELL, WHISTLE, SIREN, DIAPHONE
Existing Keepers Quarters? YES
  • Year Constructed: 1905
  • Number of Stories: 1.5
  • Architectural Style: GEORGIAN
  • Construction Materials: FRAME
Other Structures: FRAME BARN/GARAGE (1877), FRAME/CORRUGATED IRON OILHOUSE/PAINTSHED(1894), CONCRETE FOUND. OF FOG SIGNAL BLDGS (1874, 1907), COAL & OILHOUSE (1907), TOWER REMODELLED 1906 AS DUPLEX ASST. KEEPERS, 2 CISTERNS, REMAINS OF TRAMWAY & WHARF/BOATHOUSE (1906)

Current Use: ACTIVE AID TO NAVIGATION/NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE

Owner/Manager: U.S. COAST GUARD LICENSE TO NEW DUNGENESS LIGHT STATION ASSOCIATION

Open to the Public? YES (Go to Lighthouses to Visit for access information)

National Register Status: LISTED; Reference #93001338
Name of Listing: NEW DUNGENESS LIGHT STATION
On State List/Inventory? NO; Year Listed:

Miscellaneous:
ONE OF THREE TO SURVIVE OF ORIGINAL EIGHT LIGHTHOUSES ON THE WEST COAST; IN 1927 UPPER PORTION OF TOWER REMOVED AND 4TH ORDER LENS FROM ADMIRALTY HEAD INSTALLED; KEEPER AT STATION UNTIL 1994



Return to Maritime home page



Last Modified: Tue, Jan 31 2006 10:39:02 am EDT
JMP



Privacy & Disclaimer

Parknet logo