National Park Service

Past Maritime Heritage Highlights
Maritime Heritage Highlights is a feature on our web site that showcases some of the more exceptional historic maritime properties that exist in the United States. We provide a short statement about the property's history, its preservation status, and links to more information. Through these "highlights" we hope to provide a brief introduction to some of the varied historic properties that embody our maritime heritage.


CANAL MOTORSHIP DAY PECKINPAUGH
[photo] Day Peckinpaugh
Photo courtesy of the National Register of Historic Places.
One of the latest maritime properties to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places is the canal motorship Day Peckinpaugh. Built in 1921 at McDougall-Duluth Shipyard in Duluth, Minnesota, the historic vessel was one of the largest to operate on the New York State Barge Canal system and is the last surviving vessel of her kind. Commissioned by Interwaterways Line Inc., Peckinpaugh had a carrying capacity of 1650 tons, almost five times larger than the standard 19th-century canal barge. Her early years were spent transporting wheat, flaxseed and rye between Buffalo and New York City.

Between 1942-1946 Peckinpaugh was pressed into military service as a collier to refuel cargo ships in convoy along the eastern seaboard. Sold in 1955, she was reconfigured into a self-discharging bulk cement carrier by her new owner in 1961. She continued to transport cement between Picton, Ontario and Rome, New York making her last trip in September 1994. Peckinpaugh remained inactive for more than a decade in Erie, Pennsylvania before being acquired by the New York State Museum. In the summer of 2005 she began a long-term rehabilitation from bulk carrier to museum ship, which will travel to communities throughout New York State’s waterways.

To learn more about the New York State Barge Canal System visit the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor and the NYS Canal Corporation web sites.

CANAL MOTORSHIP DAY PECKINPAUGH was highlighted on our home page, 2/04/05 - 04/02/06.


SAVE AMERICA'S TREASURES GRANT RECIPIENTS
[photo] W.P. Snyder, Jr. Three maritime-related properties were awarded Save America's Treasures grants from the Federal government in 2005. These are the Japonski Island Boathouse, a boat repair facility which is part of the Sitka Naval Operating Base and US Army Coastal Defenses National Historic Landmark, a site that was instrumental in America's coastal defense in World War II; Lightship No. 118 "Overfalls", one of the country's few remaining "floating lighthouses", which aided navigation in treacherous waters where lighthouses could not be built; and the W.P. Snyder, Jr., one of three extant steam-powered towboats, it was launched in 1918 to move coal barges along the Ohio and Monongahela Rivers.
[photo] Lightship No. 118
Sixty-one projects in 29 states and the District of Columbia were awarded these prestigous grants in 2005. By law each award requires a dollar-for-dollar non-Federal match. In all three cases the funds will be used to address structural deterioration.

For more information on the grant program, how to apply and past recepients, click on the following links Save America's Treasure Federal Grants .

W.P. Snyder Jr. in Cincinnati, OH (above) and Lightship No. 118 "Overfalls" in Lewes, DE (below)

SAVE AMERICA'S TREASURES GRANT RECIPIENTS was highlighted on our home page, 12/07/05 - 02/03/06.


BODIE ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE AND LENS
Bodie Island lantern and lens On Monday, April 25, 2005, the National Park Service (NPS) became the proud new owners of the first-order Fresnel lens that occupies the lantern room at Bodie Island Lighthouse on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The light tower had transferred to the NPS in 2000. As the new caretakers, the NPS will operate the lens as a private aid to navigation.

The lens was manufactured by Barbier and Fenestre of Paris France in 1871 and installed the following year at Bodie Island. Bodie Island is one of the few lighthouses to retain its first-order lens. When restoration work begins at the tower, the lens will be temporarily removed and replaced with a modern optic. The lens too will receive conservation work to ensure its preservation and will be reinstalled in the tower when all work is complete.

For more information, click on the following links Bodie Island Lighthouse, the lens, and the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.
To view Presidential proclamations and other information on National Maritime Day or the history of the steamship Savannah, check out these sites:


BODIE ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE AND LENS was highlighted on our home page, 05/06/05 - 12/07/05.


NATIONAL MARITIME DAY
On May 20, 1933, Congress passed a joint resolution designating May 22 as National Maritime Day. The date marks the anniversary of the steamship Savannah which left its homeport of Savannah, Georgia on the first successful transoceanic voyage under steam propulsion in 1819 "[t]hus making a material contribution to the advancement of ocean transportation…"

The resolution authorized and requested that the President annually issue a proclamation calling upon the people of the United States to observe National Maritime Day each May 22. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt issued the first proclamation in 1933 and each subsequent President has done the same. Special commemorations of the day were not uncommon throughout the 1940s honoring the men and women who worked in the shipyards and factories building the "emergency fleet" as well as those seaman who had lost their lives in the line of duty.

To view Presidential proclamations and other information on National Maritime Day or the history of the steamship Savannah, check out these sites:

U.S. Maritime Service Veterans - National Maritime Day and Other Resolutions, Proclamations, Speeches and Commemorations

MARAD - Education (Maritime History)

Historic Speedwell Inc. - The S.S. Savannah

NATIONAL MARITIME DAY was highlighted on our home page, 05/10/03 - 05/06/05.


NATIONAL HISTORIC LIGHTHOUSE PRESERVATION ACT
J. C. Lore Oyster Houseas LighthouseThe National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000 (NHLPA), 16 U.S.C. 470, authorizes the disposal of historic lighthouses and stations. The Act amends the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 and establishes a national lighthouse preservation program. NHLPA recognizes the cultural, recreational, and educational value associated with these historic resources by allowing lighthouse properties to be transferred at no cost to federal agencies, state and local governments, nonprofit corporations and community development organizations for park and recreation, cultural and historic, and educational uses.

For more information on the NHLPA program including the next group of potential light stations to be excessed, click here.

NATIONAL HISTORIC LIGHTHOUSE PRESERVATION ACT was highlighted on our home page, 06/10/02 - 05/09/03.


MARITIME NHL'S
J. C. Lore Oyster Houseas LighthouseThree properties relating to the maritime heritage of the United States were designated National Historic Landmarks in August of 2001. The J.C. Lore Oyster House in Solomons, Maryland (see picture at right) and Rudolph Oyster House in West Sayville, New York are among five identified nationally significant oyster-processing structures which represent the height of the industry from the 1860s to the 1920s as well as the processing stages of culling, shucking, packing and canning. The third property, the Modesty, is a Long Island "south-sider" shellfish dredging sloop built in 1923. Also located in West Sayville New York – the Modesty is the only known sailing scallop dredge to survive. These three properties are part of the overall theme study on the Oyster Fisheries of the United States. MARITIME NHL'S was highlighted on our home page, 01/31/02 - 06/10/02.


CAPE HATTERAS
Cape Hatteras Light StationCape Hatteras Light, completed in 1870, is the tallest lighthouse in the U.S. and the second tallest brick light tower in the world. The light station consists of the lighthouse tower as well as a principal keeper's dwelling, duplex assistant keeper's dwelling, and oil house. The light station is part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore, National Park Service. Because of continuing threats from shoreline erosion, the light station was relocated 1600 feet from the current coastline during the summer of 1999. All the light station buildings were placed in their original configuration with the same orientation to the ocean as they had in 1870. To learn more about the Cape Hatteras Light Station, please see the National Historic Landmark study found on this site or visit the Cape Hatteras National Seashore web site. CAPE HATTERAS was highlighted on our home page, 2/01/01 - 01/31/02.


HOGA
HogaU.S. Navy yard tug HOGA is typical of hundreds of World War II-era naval service craft. She is the only known surviving yard craft present at Pearl Harbor during the Japanese attack on the U.S. Pacific Fleet on December 7, 1941. HOGA and crew performed heroic service during the attack in helping to beach the burning and sinking USS NEVADA and battling the blazing hulk of USS ARIZONA. Currently located at Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet, HOGA is listed on donation hold status as a potential museum or memorial. To learn more about HOGA, please see the National Historic Landmark study found on this site or visit the Navy Ship Donation Program web pages. HOGA was highlighted on our home page, 12/01/00 - 01/31/01.




Return to Maritime home page



Last Modified: Mon, April 3 2006 8:00:00 am EDT
JMP



Privacy & Disclaimer

Parknet logo