Cliveden (The Chew House)
On a foggy October morning in 1777, General George Washington's soldiers attacked British troops in the small
village of Germantown. About 120 retreating British soldiers broke into a large stone house called Cliveden, left
vacant while its owners stayed in Philadelphia. Barricading themselves behind the thick walls, the British began to
fire on Washington's troops. When Washington ordered a full-scale assault on Cliveden, it turned out to be a serious
mistake. Musket fire aimed at the enemy inside passed through the front and rear windows, striking American
soldiers behind the house!
After several hours, the Redcoats continued to hold Cliveden. Even though we lost the
battle, the French were so impressed by the American spirit--and our earlier victory at Saratoga--they decided to
enter the War as an ally.