Table of Contents
1. An Overview
2. Introduction to Washington: The National
Capital Park and Planning Commission
3. The National Park Service
4. The New Deal: The First Hundred Days
5. The Civilian Conservation Corps
6. The CCC: Accomplishments and Demise
7. Other Emergency Period Programs
Natural History and History Associations
Historic Sites Act of 1935
Park, Parkway, and Recreational-Area Study Act of 1936
Recreational Demonstration Areas
Historic American Buildings Survey
Seashore and Lakeshore Studies
Park Structures and Facilities
Digest of Laws Relating to Local Parks and Recreation
8. War: Hot and Cold
9. Mission 66 and the Road to the Future
10. The Winds of Change
11. Congressional Relations: Official and
The House Appropriations Committee
The Senate Appropriations Committee
The House Public Lands Committee
The Senate Interior and Insular Affairs Committee
Some of the Pretty Good Guys
12. Advice: Good and Bad
13. Some Observations from Retirement
The Civil Service and "Schedule C"
Political Activity of Government Employees
Government and the Governed
Conservation and Wilderness Management
A Personal Note
Library of Congress Cataloging in Publication Data
Wirth, Conrad Louis, 1899-
Parks, politics, and the people.
1. National parks and reservesUnited States
History. 2. Parks policyUnited StatesHistory.
3. Wirth, Conrad Louis, 1899- 4. United States.
National Park ServiceOfficials and employees
Biography. I. Title.
SB482.A4W57 353.0086'32'0924 79-6709
Copyright©1980 by the University of Oklahoma Press, Publishing
Division of the University. Manufactured in the U.S.A. First edition.