1. As of 1978, 303.95 acres out of the whole park acreage (given as 70,408.64) were considered encumbered. National Park Service Minerals Management Regulations for Nonfederal Oil and Gas Rights: Environmental Assessment (Denver: DSC, 1978), 1-2. A good example of what can happen on encumbered land is the seismographic testing conducted in 1954 by Amerada Petroleum on the Olsen inholding at Theodore Roosevelt. See John S. McLaughlin (Asst. Reg. Dir., Region II) to Reg. Dir. (Region II), memorandum, 24 May 1954 (THRO-S).
3. Fred C. Fagergren (Reg. Dir., MWRO) to J. S. Collins (Vice-President, Tenneco), 26 July 1966 (THRO-A); Hillary A. Oden (District Engineer, USGS) to Regional Oil and Gas Supervisor (USGS), memorandum, 23 June 1966 (THRO-A).
7. George F. Baggley (Acting Reg. Dir., MWRO) to Director (NPS), memorandum, 21 July 1966 (THRO-A). See also Eugene F. Lyttle to Chief of Office of Land and Water Rights (NPS), memorandum, 16 January 1967 (THRO-S).
9. Harold Fysk (Montana State Director, BLM) to Director (USGS), memorandum, 7 July 1967 (THRO-A); Roland Lee (BLM) to USGS Office (Casper, WY), memorandum, 2 May 1972 (THRO-A). The land in question was that involved in the 1963 highway realignment preceding the construction of Interstate 94 along the right-of-way of U. S. Route 10 through Billings County.
13. Protective Oil Lease (Standard Form 31201, May 1968 version) between the United States (by BLM) and Amerada Hess Corporation, file L2427, leases M30613(ND) through M30620(ND), inclusive (THRO-A).
14. "Environmental Review," memorandum, 12 December 1974 (THRO-A); Amerada Hess Corporation, "Procedures for Blow Out Prevention and Control," unpublished MS, February 1975 (THRO-A); "Surface Restoration Requirements for Plugging & Abandonment Procedures on Oil and Gas Leases," memorandum, n.d. (Billings, MT: USGS).
Last Updated: 15-Jan-2004