1. Extract from "Memorial del Dr. Gonzalo Solís de Merás, in Eugenio Ruidíaz y Caravia, La Florida (Madrid, 1893), v. I, pp. 119127. Translation by the editor.
2. Extract from "A summarie and true discourse of sir Francis Drakes West Indian voyage, begun in the year 1585" (by Capt. Walter Biggs, Lieutenant Cripps, and Lt. Thomas Cates, member of Drake's army), in Hakluyt's Collection of the Early Voyages, Travels, and Discoveries of the English Nation (London, 181012), v. IV, pp. 2425.
3. Extract from letter of Gonçalo Méndez de Canço, Governor of Florida, to the Crown, Sept. 22, 1602, in Archivo General de Indias, Audiencia de Santo Domingo, 5459 (transcript in Woodbury Lowery, "Florida Mss.", v. IV). Translation by the editor.
4. Extract from copy of letter of Francisco de la Guerra y de la Vega, Governor of Florida, to the Viceroy of New Spain, July 7, 1668, in Archivo General de Indias, 58-22, 14 (1) (photostatic copy in the Spanish Records of the North Carolina Historical Commission). Translation by the editor.
5. Affidavit of Juan Moreno y Segobia, Oct. 2, 1672, in Archivo General de Indias, Audiencia de Santo Domingo, 839, 58126 (photostatic copy in Fort Marion Study Collection). Translation by the editor.
6. Extracts from unsigned document, entitled "Raçon De lo zuçedido en las Provincias de la florida este Año de Mill seisçienros y ochenta y tres * * *", May 20, 1683, enclosed with letter of Pablo de Hita Salazar to the Crown, May 24, 1683, in Archivo General de Indias, 54511 (photostatic copy in the Spanish Records of the North Carolina Historical Commission). Translation by the editor.
7. Letter of Michael Cole, Carolina, to Hon. William Blathwate, Wight Hall, Dec. 22, 1702, in British Public Record Office Papers, Colonial Office Class 5, v. 306 (transcript from Library of Congress).
8. Extract from "Letters of Montiano" [to the Governor of Cuba], trans lations by C. DeWitt Willcox, in Collections of the Georgia Historical Society (Savannah, 1909), v. VII, Part I, pp. 5962.
9. Letter of Christopher Gadsden, Philadelphia, to George Washington, August 10, 1781, in Library of Congress (photostatic copy in Fort Marion Study Collection).
10. Extract from letter of Bartolomé Moráles, Governor of Florida, to Lu&iagrave;s de las Casas, Governor of Cuba, June 27, 1795, in Archivo General de Indias, Papeles Procedenres de Cuba, 143820, (transcript in Spanish Records of North Carolina Historical Commission). Translation by Ruth Kuykendall for the North Carolina Historical Records Survey.
11. Robert Butler, "Memorandum of the manner of occupying the Fortress of St. Mark, at St. Augustine," July 6, 1821, in American State Papers, Miscellaneous (Gales and Seaton, Washington, 1834), v. II, p. 889.
12. Extract from Coacoochee's account of his escape from Fort Marion, in John T. Sprague, The Origin, Progress and Conclusion of the Florida War * * * (D. Appleton and Co., N. Y., 1848), pp. 325327.
Commemorating the Spanish Phase of Colonial American History
Castillo de San Marcos and Fort Matanzas National Monuments, St. Augustine, Fla.
Cabrillo National Monument, near San Diego, Calif.
Gran Quivira National Monument, near Mountainair, N. Mex. (Ruins of an early Spanish mission.)
Tumacacori National Monument, near Tucson, Ariz. (Spanish mission ruins.)
Coronado National Memorial, near Bisbee, Ariz.
San Jose Mission National Historic Site, San Antonio, Tex. 1 2
Commemorating the French Phase of Colonial American History
Fort Caroline National Memorial, near Jacksonville, Fla.
Commemorating the English Phase of Colonial American History
Fort Raleigh National Historic Site, Roanoke Island. N. C. 3
Jamestown National Historic Site, Jamestown Island, Va. 2 4
Colonial National Historical Park, Yorktown, Va.
George Washington Birthplace National Monument, Westmoreland County, Va. 5
Fort Frederica National Monument, St. Simons Island, Ga.
Fort Necessity National Battlefield Site, near Uniontown, Pa. 4
1 Sixteen-page booklet published by Advisory Board, San Jose Mission National Historic Site, San Antonio, Tex.
2 In non-Federal ownership, having agreements with National Park Service for cooperative preservation and use.
3 A historical handbook relating to this area is for sale by the Superintendent of Documents, Washington 25, D. C., at 20 cents a copy.
4 A historical handbook relating to this area is for sale by the Superintendent of Documents, Washington 25, D. C., at 25 cents a copy.
5 Sixteen-page illustrated booklet relating to this area is for sale by the Superintendent of Documents, Washington 25, D. C., at 10 cents a copy.