Survey of Historic Sites and Buildings
Fort Huachuca (1877-present), one of a chain of forts established to guard southern Arizona against the Chiricahua Apaches, figured prominently in the campaigns that finally pacified them. At this fort Capt. Henry W. Lawton, General Miles' protege, and Acting Assistant Surgeon Leonard Wood organized the elite striking force that chased Geronimo and his followers through the wilds of Mexico's Sierra Madre during the summer of 1886. The campaign, though it involved no decisive engagements, proved instrumental in Geronimo's surrender later in the year.
Construction at modern Fort Huachuca, which houses the Army Strategic Communications Command, has encroached only slightly on the historic scene. The large adobe houses on officers' row, built in the 1880's, have been remodeled but still serve their original function. Several other residences dating from the same period have also been renovated and are occupied by offices. Three large frame barracks accommodate classrooms and offices. A row of eight adobe huts, a half mile north of the parade ground, was built around 1900 to house Apache scouts. The Fort Huachuca Post Museum interprets the history of the post.
NHL Designation: 05/11/76
Last Updated: 19-Aug-2005