REPORT OF THE SUPERVISOR OF THE MOUNT RAINIER NATIONAL PARK.
OFFICE OF THE SUPERVISOR,
SIR: I have the honor of submitting the following report of operations in Mount Rainier National Park for the season of 1915:
Mount Rainier National Park was created by act of Congress approved March 2, 1899, and exclusive jurisdiction of the territory so set aside for national park purposes was ceded to the United States Government by act of the Legislature of the State of Washington approved March 16, 1901. The United States has not complied with the provision of said act of the Legislature of the State of Washington which reads:
Provided, however, That jurisdiction shall not vest until the United States, through the proper officer, notifies the governor of this State that they assume police or military jurisdiction over said park.
The park is located in the western part of the State of Washington immediately west of the summit of the Cascade Range of mountains and about 40 miles southeasterly from the southern end of Puget Sound.
It is situated largely in Pierce County, but a portion lies in Lewis County.
The administrative office is located at the main entrance to the park, near the southwest corner, which is distant by automobile road 93 miles from Seattle, 56 miles from Tacoma, and 6-1/2 miles from Ashford, on the Tacoma Eastern Railroad, a branch line of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway. It is connected by telephone to Seattle, Tacoma, and the principal camps and ranger stations within the park.
The department is represented in the administration and management of the park by Mr. Stephen T. Mather, assistant to the secretary, Mr. Mark Daniels, general superintendent and landscape engineer of national parks, Monadnock Building, San Francisco, Cal., and by a local supervisor who is assisted throughout the year by a clerk-stenographer, a chief park ranger, and two permanent park rangers. During the summer months additional assistance is rendered by six temporary park rangers, a general foreman of construction, and from 50 to 150 men.
The northwest corner of the park, by road and trail travel, is about 45 miles southeast from the tidewaters of Puget Sound, an arm of the Pacific Ocean, from which waters and the country surrounding the main object of interest in the park, Mount Rainier, appears during the prevalence of ordinary clear weather as a most imposing spectaclean ice and snow clad dome 14,408 feet high.
The park reserve is a nearly perfect square, the sides of which are 18 miles in length, and contains, therefore, 324 square miles, or sections of 640 acres each (207,360 acres), and is completely surrounded by lands embraced within the Rainier National Forest.
Near the center of the park is the summit of Mount Rainier, from which radiates a system of glaciers, ranking in importance with any similar system or group of glaciers in the world. There are more than a score of these glaciers, from which originate four important riversthe Nisqually, the Puyallup, the White, and the Cowlitzthe three first named having large electric-power generating plants located on them at points outside the park, but all dependent upon this glacial system and the waters originating therein. The Cowlitz is as important as the others in this respect, but as yet completed development of power-generating plants has not been accomplished.
The general elevation at the boundary lines of the park of the glacial valleys is 2,000 feet above sea level. From the boundary lines these valleys afford a comparatively easy grade to the lower ends or "snouts" of the various glaciers, approximately an average additional elevation of 2,000 feet. At these glacial snouts the real Alpine nature of Mount Rainier National Park territory is thrust upon the traveler, and from, over, around, and alongside the glaciers trails have been constructed with a view to making the wonders of nature within the park easily accessible as well as to provide patrol routes for the protection of the forests and game. These trails lead to the camps or parks known as Paradise Valley (Camp of the Clouds), Indian Henry's Hunting Ground (Wigwam Hotel), Van Trump Park, Cowlitz Park, Ohanapecosh Valley, and Silver Spray Falls, Moraine Park, Grand Park, Elysian Fields, Spray Park, Natural Bridge Cataract Basin, St. Andrews Park, Glacier Basin, etc.
There is at present but one wagon-road entrance to this vast wonderland. This road leads out from Tacoma and Seattle and is a highly improved thoroughfare for a greater part of the distance from these cities to the park entrance, near the southwest corner of the park, a distance of 56 miles from Tacoma and 93 miles from Seattle. At the park gate this road is met by the road built and maintained by the Government within the park. The Government end of this road is 20.4 miles in length, leading from the entrance gate (elevation, 2,003 feet) to Longmire Springs (6.6 miles; elevation, 2,750 feet); thence to foot of Nisqually Glacier (5.3 miles; elevation, 3,909 feet); thence to Narada Falls (4.1 miles; elevation, 4,572 feet); thence to the Camp of the Clouds in Paradise Valley (4.4 miles; elevation, 5,557 feet). To this point the road is open to automobiles during the summer months. The road above Nisqually Glacier was opened to automobiles for the first time on June 20, 1915.
More than 200 square miles of the park lands are densely timbered. Douglas fir, white cedar, Alaska cedar, and hemlock are the predominating varieties. In addition to those named, the following varieties are found at various points within the park: Lovely fir, Noble fir, Alpine fir, Silver fir, Alpine hemlock, spruce, white pine, black (or lodge pole) pine, alder cottonwood, quaking aspen, broad leaf maple, vine maple, and smooth-leaf maple.
At an approximate general elevation of 4,500 feet the density of timber growth gradually diminishes until the extreme timber line is reached. The intervening areas, which are usually benches or plateaus on the long, sloping ridges separating the various glacial basins, form beautiful natural parks, in some of which tent camps or hotels are established and to which tourists resort in large numbers for rest and recreation. These natural parks and tent camps serve as bases for the arduous task of ascending to the summit of Mount Rainier, and for exploring the lesser mountain peaks, the glaciers, snow fields, and canyons so numerous within the park areas and in the areas surrounding.
These upland meadows, benches, plateaus, or natural parks are beautifully adorned by nature with flowers and shrubs of infinite variety and color and furnish to the most skilled botanist, not to speak of the amateur and the mere lover of the beautiful, problems in nature study never ending. Nearly 400 varieties of plant life are known to grow within the park.
ROADS AND TRAILS.
The Government road from the southwest corner of the park to the Camp of the Clouds in Paradise Valley was constructed under direction of the War Department. The road was opened for travel during 1910. The original cost of construction was $240,000. During the fiscal year ending June 30, 1915, $32,364.19 was expended in repairing and improving this road. During the season just ending this road has been improved at various points by widening, constructing rock and timber crib retaining walls, guardrails, and by surfacing with 6 inches of cement gravel.
Between Longmire Springs and Narada Falls the road stands up fairly well under the heavy rains, but on the reaches below Longmire Springs and above Narada Falls considerable improvement work must yet be done to put the road in passable condition during wet weather. The section above Narada Falls was closed to traffic after each heavy rain during the present season.
The road above Nisqually Glacier was opened to automobiles on June 20, 1915, and was operated throughout the season on a one-way schedule, by which automobiles left the Glacier ascending and Paradise Valley descending on each hour from 7 a. m. to 7 p. m., passing at Narada Falls on the half hour. This traffic was controlled by three traffic officers, in telephone communication, stationed at Nisqually Glacier, Narada Falls, and Paradise Valley. The system met with universal satisfaction from the public, and it is believed that the necessary expenditure to improve this road for two-way traffic is not justified.
During the season of 1915 over 5,000 automobiles and 30,000 people passed over this road without an accident of any kind.
The original wooden bridge over Tahoma Creek, 1.2 miles from the park entrance, was replaced by a reinforced concrete structure of two 30-foot spans by McHugh & Creelman, Tacoma, Wash., contract price, $2,365.
The park trail system now has a total length of 150 miles. During the months of May, June, and July of this season three trail construction crews of 15 men each were engaged in trail buildingcompleting about August 1 the east and west side connections of the trail encircling system. This work was done at an average cost of about $300 per mile.
The Mountaineers, about 90 in number, with a pack train of 50 horses, made the circuit of the mountain in August. The trip around the mountain can be made in about seven days, with an average march of 20 miles over the trail. This trip with proper advertising should become a very popular feature of the park. By making camp each night at certain designated points in the natural parks and upland meadows, the tourist can travel on foot by the shortest route, between camps, keeping above timber line, and obtain a magnificent view of the mountain and surrounding country from all angles, affording one of the most interesting scenic trips in all the world.
There are eight ranger cabins in the park. The cabin at the main park entrance on the Government road, near the southwest corner of the park, is used as a general office for the park service and as living quarters for the clerk-stenographer and temporary ranger at that station. The main building (two rooms) is constructed of cedar logs. Frame additions for office purposes and kitchen have been added. The supervisor also uses this building as living quarters during the winter months.
At Longmire Springs the four-room pine-log cabin with frame addition for kitchen has been taken as a residence for the supervisor, and an old building near by, formerly used as an office by the Engineer Corps of the United States Army, has been cleaned and repaired to serve as quarters for the permanent ranger at Longmire station.
The Paradise Valley, Carbon River, and Ohanapecosh ranger stations are provided with one-room log buildings, and two more, located at Indian Henry's and White River stations, are being constructed this season.
Two small frame buildings, 10 by 12, have been constructed this season at Nisqually Glacier and Narada Falls for use by the traffic officers.
A frame warehouse is located at Longmire station, and park service tools, equipment, and supplies are assembled therein at such times as service conditions will allow.
During the present season 40 miles of single-wire telephone line has been constructed over the west side trail from a point on South Fork of the Puyallup River via Sunset Park, Mountain Meadows, Crater Lake, Spray Park, Carbon River Valley to the Carbon River ranger station and the northwest corner of the park, from which point the Forest Service has extended the line to a connection with the commercial line at Fairfax, Wash.
An additional 20 miles is now under construction from Glacier Cabin at the snout of the Carbon Glacier via Mystic Lake, Glacier Basin, and the White River Valley to the ranger station on White River at boundary post No. 62. When completed these extensions will bring the total mileage of single-wire Government line within the park up to 90 miles.
In addition there is 6.6 miles of telephone, belonging to the Tacoma Eastern Railroad Co., which terminates at Longmire Springs.
Mining operations are confined to claims located prior to the act of Congress of May 27, 1908, prohibiting the location of mineral claims within the park.
Active claim is asserted to nine locations by the Mount Rainier Mining Co. in the Glacier Basin district (north central section of the park), while in the vicinity of Longmire Springs (south central section) the Eagle Peak Copper Mining Co. is working toward the development of two claims, and Sherman Evans and Ike Evans two claims. Improvements on all of these claims consist largely of tunnels. No ore shipments have ever been made except for test purposes, from any mine within the park, though operations of various kinds have been in progress for nearly 20 years.
No fires occurred within the park during the season of 1915. During the month there were numerous fires outside the park and for about one week in the latter part of the month the smoke drifted into the park to such an extent that sight-seeing was impossible except in the early morning hours.
During the season there were employed in the park service nine park rangers: Thomas E. O'Farrell, chief park ranger, stationed on the Carbon River at the northwest corner of the park, from which point he directed the patrol, trail, and telephone construction work on the north side; Prof. J. B. Flett, park ranger, stationed at Longmire Springs in charge of traffic, camp grounds, and the distribution of park literature, general information concerning the flora, trees, shrubbery, etc.; Rudolph L. Rosso, park ranger, stationed at Paradise Valley, in charge of Paradise Valley and Indian Henry's Camps; Arthur White, temporary park ranger, stationed on White River in the northeast corner of the park; Herman B. Burnett, temporary park ranger, stationed at the Ohanapecosh Hot Springs in the southeast corner of the park; Earl V. Clifford, temporary park ranger, stationed at the park entrance, in charge of the registration of visitors and issuing automobile permits; Archibald Duncan, L. D. Boyle, and M. D. Gunston, temporary park rangers, stationed at Nisqually Glacier, Narada Falls, and Paradise Valley, respectively, as traffic officers, under the supervision of Chas. A. Clark, general foreman of road improvement work.
The comparatively mild winter of 1914-15 was very favorable to game increase, and, judged from the frequency of being encountered by tourists and park rangers, there has been a very satisfactory increase of deer. Hunting is absolutely prohibited in park territory, and every precaution is taken by park officers to prevent poaching, but the densely wooded nature of park territory makes it impossible to entirely stop the practice. A great many goats have been observed at various times and places during the past summer. One band of 100 goats was observed by trail workers in August. A number of goats have pastured in Van Trump Park this season.
The mineral springs at Longmire constitute an attraction which has had much to do with the development of the park. The ground on which these springs are located was patented under the mining laws a number of years ago and is held by private parties. This tract is so situated with reference to Government lands that the public can not readily distinguish the private from the public lands and buildings. Several kinds of mineralized waters spring from the ground on this tract and little care is exercised to prevent pollution. A large amount of this water has a temperature of 70° F. on reaching the surface. It is heavily charged with sulphur, and a swimming tank is provided in order that visitors may take a "sulphur plunge." Other waters are charged with iron, and still others are sweet, cool and sparkling.
Immediately south of the southern boundary of the park, near the southeast corner, very hot mineral springs are located, and an attempt is being made to acquire them under the mineral-land laws. If this attempt fails, the small amount of land involved should be taken from the national forest and added to the park.
Fine mineralized water has been discovered on the new trail, which was built up the Tahoma Fork River, 5 miles north of the Government road and also on the South Fork of Puyallup River near boundary post No. 16.
During the season 32,764 visitors to the park registered at the park office, on the Government road, near the southwest corner of the park. There is no systematic effort to obtain registration of entrances at other places on the boundaries, but the ranger in the Carbon River district estimates the number of entrances on the north side as being 2,000, and the ranger at Ohanapecosh station estimates the number entering there at 50, making the number of visitors reach the total of 34,814, as compared to a total of 15,038 for the season of 1914. A systematic count of the park gate registration shows the 32,764 registrations at that point to be distributed as follows: From Tacoma, 8,194; from Seattle, 7,437; from other points in the State of Washington, 5,544; from points outside the State of Washington, 11,589.
The number of private automobile permits issued during the season of 1915 was 3,230, as compared to 1,594 issued in 1914. The number of people entering in private automobiles was 23,404; the total number of machine entrances, 5,029. The figures given in the last sentence above do not include the automobile-stage entrances, by which means 8,153 people entered, 3,652 having come to Ashford, on the Tacoma Eastern Railroad, thence to the park in automobile stage, the remaining 4,501 having come on automobile stages from Tacoma; 200 people entered in horse-drawn vehicles; 5,000 people came into the park for camping purposes. The average length of time each person remained in the park is estimated at three days. Visitors are not required to register on going out.
AUTOMOBILES AND MOTORCYCLES.
During the year ended September 30, 1915, there were issued 3,230 permits to owners of private automobiles to use the roads of the park for travel. These permits are good for repeated entrances until December 31 of the year of issue. For each of these permits a fee of $5 was exacted, making the revenue collections from this source $16,150, while public automobiles paid $1,900. Motorcycles to the number of 247 were licensed at $1 each.
Two fatal accidents occurred in the park during the month of August, 1915. On August 19 Mr. Gilbert Francis Ordway, a prominent attorney of Boston, Mass., while returning from the summit of Mount Rainier, was killed near Gibraltar in descending the cliffs of Cowlitz Cleaver, a rocky ridge that extends from Camp Muir to Gibraltar. The mountain-climbing party was composed of seven people and a guide. After walking along this cleaver for about a quarter of a mile the party started to leave it and go down to the trail in the snow below. When within 15 feet of the trail Mr. Ordway placed his Alpine staff directly in front of him, in order to make a step down of about 2 feet. Suddenly his staff slipped, precipitating him forward to the trail below, a drop of about 15 feet. He struck on his head, just back of the left ear, against a rock, rendering him unconscious, in which state he remained until his death. The accident happened at 4.20 p. m., but he lived until the rescue party reached him at 10 p.m.
On August 31 Mr. C. W. Ferguson, of Seattle, Wash., was killed by falling ice in the caves of Paradise Glacier. There were 17 people and a guide in the party. Disregarding the instructions of the guide, several people proceeded in advance and entered the caves. Two boys passed through, Mr. Ferguson, accompanied by his wife, followed, stopped inside and began picking at the ice overhead with his Alpine staff, when a large block of ice broke loose, killing him instantly.
Aside from these two no other accidents have occurred.
An arrangement was made with Dr. James R. Yocom, of Tacoma, for medical and hospital service to the men employed on construction work, for which the men contributed $1 per month. Two patients were removed to the hospital in Tacoma, one of whom died.SKETCH MAP OF MOUNT RAINIER NATIONAL PARK.
Trails are shown by dotted line.
CONCESSIONS AND SPECIAL PERMITS.
Following is a list of special permits issued and amounts paid therefor for the season now closing:
Special permits issued during season of 1915.
HOTELS AND CAMP ACCOMMODATIONS.
The National Park Inn, at Longmire Springs, is the principal public stopping place within the park. The franchise to operate this hotel is held in the name of the Tacoma Eastern Railroad. The building is a frame structure, two and one-half stories in height, 125 feet long, and 32 feet wide. There are 36 guest rooms in the main building, and through the use of tents 250 guests may be accommodated. A very attractive clubhouse or assembly hall, built of pine logs, has been provided for the comfort and enjoyment of guests. Water is taken from the Nisqually River for the operation of an electric lighting and refrigerating plant.
A hotel and tent camp is operated on the patented lands at Longmire Springs by Mrs. Elcaine Longmire.
John L. Reese operates a tent camp in Paradise Valley, and George B. Hall operates a tent camp in Indian Henry's Hunting Grounds.
D. L. REABURN,
The SECRETARY OF THE INTERIOR.
RULES AND REGULATIONS.
General regulations of March 30, 1912.
Pursuant to the authority conferred by the acts of Congress approved March 2, 1899, and May 27, 1908, the following rules and regulations for the government of the Mount Rainier National Park, in the State of Washington, are hereby established and made public:
1. It is forbidden to injure or disturb in any manner any of the mineral deposits, natural curiosities, or wonders on the Government lands within the park.
2. It is forbidden to cut or injure any timber growing on the park lands, or to deface or injure any Government property. Camping parties will be allowed to use dead or fallen timber for fuel.
3. Fires should be lighted only when necessary and completely extinguished when not longer required. The utmost care must be exercised at all times to avoid setting fire to the timber and grass.
4. Hunting or killing, wounding, or capturing any bird or wild animal on the park lands, except dangerous animals when necessary to prevent them from destroying life or inflicting an injury, is prohibited. The outfits, including guns, traps, teams, horses, or means of transportation used by persons engaged in hunting, killing, trapping, ensnaring, or capturing such birds or wild animals, or in possession of game killed on the park lands under other circumstances than prescribed above, will be taken up by the superintendent and held subject to the order of the Secretary of the Interior, except in cases where it is shown by satisfactory evidence that the outfit is not the property of the person or persons violating this regulation and the actual owner thereof was not a party to such violation. Firearms will only be permitted in the park on written permission from the superintendent thereof.
5. Fishing with nets, seines, traps, or by the use of drugs or explosives, or in any other way than with hook and line, is prohibited. Fishing for purposes of merchandise or profit is forbidden. Fishing may be prohibited by order of the superintendent in any of the waters of the park, or limited therein to any specified season of the year, until otherwise ordered by the Secretary of the Interior.
6. No person will be permitted to reside permanently, engage in any business, or erect buildings, etc., upon the Government lands in the park without permission, in writing, from the Secretary of the Interior. The superintendent may grant authority to competent persons to act as guides and revoke the same in his discretion. No pack trains will be allowed in the park unless in charge of a duly registered guide.
7. Owners of patented lands within the park limits are entitled to the full use and enjoyment thereof; the boundaries of such lands, however, must be determined, and marked and defined, so that they may be readily distinguished from the park lands. While no limitations or conditions are imposed upon the use of such private lands so long as such use does not interfere with or injure the park, private owners must provide against trespass by their stock or cattle, or otherwise, upon the park lands, and all trespasses committed will be punished to the full extent of the law. Stock may be taken over the park lands to patented private lands with the written permission and under the supervision of the superintendent, but such permission and supervision are not required when access to such private lands is had wholly over roads or lands not owned or controlled by the United States.
8. Hereafter the location of mining claims under the mineral-land laws of the United States is prohibited within the park. Persons who have heretofore acquired in good faith rights to any mining location or locations shall not be permitted to injure, destroy, or interfere with the retention in their natural condition of any timber, mineral deposits, natural curiosities, or wonders within said park outside the boundaries of their respective mining claims duly located and held under the mineral-land laws.
9. Allowing the running at large, herding, or grazing of cattle or stock of any kind on the Government lands in the park, as well as the driving of such stock or cattle over same, is strictly forbidden, except where authority therefor has been granted by the superintendent. All cattle or stock found trespassing on the park lands will be impounded and disposed of as directed in regulations approved March 30, 1912.
10. No drinking saloon or barroom will be permitted upon Government lands in the park.
11. Private notices or advertisements shall not be posted or displayed on the Government lands within the reservation, except such as may be necessary for the convenience and guidance of the public.
12. Persons who render themselves obnoxious by disorderly conduct or bad behavior, or who violate any of the foregoing rules will be summarily removed from the park and will not be allowed to return without permission, in writing, from the Secretary of the Interior or the superintendent of the park.
No lessee or licensee shall retain in his employ any person whose presence in the park shall be deemed and declared by the superintendent to be subversive of the good order and management of the reservation.
13. The superintendent designated by the Secretary is hereby authorized and directed to remove all trespassers from the Government lands in the park and enforce these rules and regulations and all the provisions of the acts of Congress aforesaid.
1. Interference with, or molestation of, any bear or other wild animal in the park in any way by any person not authorized by the superintendent is prohibited.
2. The wanton destruction of wild flowers, plants, or shrubs growing on the park lands is forbidden.
3. Fires.The greatest care must be exercised to insure the complete extinction of all camp fires before they are abandoned. All ashes and unburned bits of wood must, when practicable, be thoroughly soaked with water. Where fires are built in the neighborhood of decayed logs, particular attention must be directed to the extinguishment of fires in the decaying mold. Fire may be extinguished where water is not available by a complete covering of earth, free from twigs or other vegetable matter, and well packed down. Care should be taken that no lighted match, cigar, or cigarette is dropped in any grass, twigs, leaves, or tree mold.
All fires found which have not been properly safeguarded should be reported to some official of the park service. Fires should be lighted only when necessary, and it is insisted that such fires be completely extinguished when no longer required. Fires must not be kept burning during night or day unless some one is left in charge.
4. Camps.No camp will be made except at designated localities. All campers in Paradise Valley shall first report to the superintendent or his authorized representative for assignment to camping sites, and will not change camps without permission. Blankets, clothing, hammocks, or any other article liable to frighten teams must not be hung near the road. The same rule applies to temporary stops, such as for feeding horses or for taking lunch.
5. Rubbish.Many successive parties camp on the same sites during the season, and camp grounds must be thoroughly cleaned before they are abandoned. Lunch boxes, paper, and other refuse must not be scattered along trails, roads, and at other places in the park; tin cans must be flattened, and, with bottles, cast-off clothing, and all other debris, must be deposited in a pit provided for the purpose. When camps are made in unusual places where pits may not be provided, all refuse must be hidden where it will not be offensive to the eye.
6. Bicycles.The greatest care must be exercised by persons using bicycles or motor cycles. On meeting a team the rider must stop and stand at side of road between the bicycle or motor cycle and the teamthe outer side of the road if on a grade or curve. In passing a team from the rear, the rider should learn from the driver if his horses are liable to frighten, in which case the driver should halt and the rider dismount and walk past, keeping between the bicycle or motor cycle and the team.
7. Fishing.All fish less than 8 inches in length should at once be returned to the water with the least damage possible to the fish. Fish that are to be retained must be at once killed by a blow on the back of the head or by thrusting a knife or other sharp instrument into the head. No one person shall catch more than 20 fish in one day.
Compliance with the fishing laws of the State of Washington will be required by park officers.
8. Dogs and cats.Dogs and cats are not permitted on the park lands. This rule, so far as it relates to dogs, does not apply to dogs trained for use by Government employees in the extermination of predatory wild animals.
9. Stages.Stages arriving at Longmire Springs and Paradise Valley shall stop at each hotel or permanent camp in the order of location, so that passengers may exercise the right of selection.
10. Driving on roads of park.(a) Drivers of vehicles of any description, when overtaken by other vehicles traveling at a faster rate of speed and within the prescribed speed limits, shall, if requested to do so, turn out and give the latter free and unobstructed passageway.
(b) Vehicles, in passing each other, must give full half of the road way. This applies to freight outfits as well as any other.
(c) Freight, baggage, and heavy camping outfits on sidehill grades throughout the park will take the outer side of the road while being passed by passenger vehicles in either direction.
(d) Transportation companies, freight and wood contractors, and all other parties and persons using the park roads, will be held liable for violations of these instructions.
(e) Mounted men on meeting a passenger team on a grade will halt on the outer side until the team passes. When approaching a passenger team from the rear warning must be given, and no faster gait will be taken than is necessary to make the passage, and if on a grade the passage will be on the outer side. A passenger team must not be passed on a dangerous grade.
(f) All wagons used in hauling heavy freight over the park roads must have tires not less than 4 inches in width. This order does not apply to express freight hauled in light spring wagons with single teams.
(g) Pack trains will be required to follow trails whenever practicable.
11. Miscellaneous.No person shall ride or drive faster than a walk over any of the Government bridges within the park. Riding or driving at night is forbidden except in cases of emergency.
Persons with animals using trails must keep therein; leaving the trails for the purpose of making short cuts will not be permitted.
Persons are not allowed to bathe near any of the regularly traveled roads in the park without suitable bathing clothes.
It is forbidden to bathe, wash clothes, or cooking utensils, or in any other way pollute the waters of the rivers or creeks above the hotels in the park.
It is forbidden to water stock directly from the rivers or creeks above the hotels in the park. A bucket or other vessel should be used.
It is forbidden to tie stock within 100 yards of any tent or tent ground. It is forbidden to tie stock so near the rivers or creeks above the hotels that the stock may enter these streams.
Campers and all others, save those holding license from the Secretary of the Interior, are prohibited from hiring their horses, trappings, or vehicles to tourists or visitors in the park.
Photographers operating moving-picture cameras must report to the office of the superintendent of the park and obtain written consent, approved by the Secretary of the Interior, before they will be allowed to enter the park with their cameras. To avoid inevitable delay, applications for privileges of this character should be made at least a week in advance. Photographers operating ordinary cameras will not be allowed to sell their product in the park without a license being first obtained.
All complaints by tourists and others as to service, etc., rendered in the reservation should be made to the superintendent in writing before the complainant leaves the park.
12. The penalty for disregard of these instructions is summary ejection from the park.
Horses, cattle, or other domestic live stock running at large or being herded or grazed in the Mount Rainier National Park without authority from the Secretary of the Interior will be taken up and impounded by the Superintendent, who will at once give notice thereof to the owner, if known. If the owner is not known, notice of such impounding, giving a description of the animal or animals, with the brands thereon, will be posted in six public places inside the park and in two public places outside the park. Any owner of an animal thus impounded may at any time before the sale thereof reclaim the same upon proving ownership and paying the cost of notice and all expenses incident to the taking up and detention of such animal, including the cost of feeding and caring for the same. If any animal thus impounded shall not be reclaimed within 30 days from notice to the owner or from the date of posting notices, it shall be sold at public auction at such time and place as may be fixed by the superintendent after 10 days' notice, to be given by posting notices in six public places in the park and two public places outside the park, and by mailing to the owner, if known, a copy thereof.
All money received from the sale of such animals and remaining after the payment of all expenses incident to the taking up, impounding, and selling thereof, shall be carefully retained by the superintendent in a separate fund for a period of six months, during which time the net proceeds from the sale of any animal may be claimed by and paid to the owner upon the presentation of satisfactory proof of ownership, and if not so claimed within six months from the date of sale such proceeds shall be turned into the Mount Rainier National Park fund.
The superintendent shall keep a record in which shall be set down a description of all animals impounded, giving the brands found on them, the date and locality of the taking up, the date of all notices and manner in which they were given, the date of sale, the name and address of the purchaser, the amount for which each animal was sold and the cost incurred in connection therewith, and the disposition of the proceeds.
The superintendent will in each instance make every reasonable effort to ascertain the owner of the animals impounded and to give actual notice thereof to such owner.
Pursuant to authority conferred by the act of March 2, 1899 (30 Stat., 993), setting aside certain lands in the State of Washington as a public park, the following regulations governing the admission of automobiles and motor cycles into the Mount Rainier National Park are hereby established and made public:
1. No automobile or motor cycle will be permitted within the metes and bounds of the Mount Rainier National Park unless the owner thereof secures a written permit from the supervisor of the park at Ashford, Wash., or his representative.
2. Applications for permits must show: (a) Name of owner, (b) number of machine, (c) name of driver, and (d) inclusive dates for which permit is desired, not exceeding one year, and be accompanied by a fee of $5 for each automobile and $1 for each motor cycle.
Permits must be presented to the supervisor or his authorized representatives at the park entrance on the Government road. The permittee will not be allowed to do a transportation business in the park without a special license therefor from the Secretary of the Interior.
3. The use of automobiles and motor cycles will be permitted on the Government road from the western boundary of Mount Rainier National Park to Longmire Springs between the hours of 6 a. m. and 9 p. m., but no automobile or motor cycle shall enter the park, or leave Longmire Springs in the direction of the western boundary later than 8.30 p. m.; the use of automobiles and motor cycles will be permitted on the Government road between Longmire Springs and Paradise Valley between the hours of 6 a. m. and 9.30 p. m., but no automobile or motor cycle shall leave Longmire Springs in the direction of Paradise Valley later than 7.30 p. m., or leave Paradise Valley in the direction of Longmire Springs before 6 a.m., or later than 7.30 p. m.
4. When teams, saddle horses, or pack trains approach, automobiles and motor cycles will take position on the outer edge of the roadway, regardless of the direction in which they are going, taking care that sufficient room is left on the inside for horses to pass.
5. Automobiles and motor cycles will stop when teams, saddle horses, or pack trains approach, and remain at rest until they have passed or until the drivers are satisfied regarding the safety of their horses.
6. Speed will be limited to 6 miles per hour, except on straight stretches where approaching teams, saddle horses, and pack trains will be visible, when, if none are in sight, this speed may be increased to the rate indicated on signboards along the road; in no event, however, shall it exceed 15 miles per hour.
7. Signals with horn will be given at or near every bend to announce to approaching drivers the proximity of a machine.
8. Horses have the right of way, and automobiles and motor cycles will be backed or otherwise handled, as necessary, so as to enable horses to pass with safety.
9. All permits granted at any time when automobiles or motor cycles can enter the park will expire on December 31 of the year of issue.
10. Violation of any of the foregoing rules, or the general regulations for the government of the park, will cause the revocation of permit; will subject the owner of the automobile or motor cycle to any damages occasioned thereby and to ejectment from the reservation, and be cause for refusal to issue a new permit to the owner without prior sanction in writing from the Secretary of the Interior.
11. All automobile and motor cycle regulations heretofore issued are canceled and revoked.
SEC. 6. That section 50 of the act entitled "An act to codify, revise, and amend the penal laws of the United States," approved March 4, 1909 (Thirty-fifth United States Statutes at Large, page one thousand and ninety-eight), is hereby amended so as to read:
"SEC. 50. Whoever shall unlawfully cut, or aid in unlawfully cutting, or shall wantonly injure or destroy, or procure to be wantonly injured or destroyed, any tree, growing, standing, or being upon any land of the United States which, in pursuance of law, has been reserved or purchased by the United States for any public use, or upon any Indian reservation, or lands belonging to or occupied by any tribe of Indians under the authority of the United States, or any Indian allotment while the title to the same shall be held in trust by the Government, or while the same shall remain inalienable by the allottee without the consent of the United States, shall be fined not more than $500 or imprisonment not more than one year, or both."
That section 53 of said act is hereby amended so as to read:
"SEC. 53. Whoever shall build a fire in or near any forest, timber, or other inflammable material upon the public domain, or upon any Indian reservation, or lands belonging to or occupied by any tribe of Indians under the authority of the United States, or upon any Indian allotment while the title to the same shall be held in trust by the Government, or while the same shall remain inalienable by the allottee without the consent of the United States, shall, before leaving said fire, totally extinguish the same; and whoever shall fail to do so shall be fined not more than $1,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both."
|<<< Previous||> Cover <|