Narrow topographic benches, one formed by Cave Creek and the other
located north at the monument entrance were improved to provide area for
development. Both benches hold visitor concession and administration
developments that have spatially characterized the monument since its
establishment. Construction of road access to the caves from the
northwest in 1922 allowed for concession development at the canyon apex.
Parking requirements could be satisfied at the north bench and smaller
benches to the southwest of the cave entrance. Though the monument is
under NPS administration, concession operations have been the primary
focus and organizing feature of site development. Definition of
administrative space was not made until construction of the Ranger
Residence in 1935. Administration held secondary spatial stance until
1941, when the Checking and Comfort Station, located at the upper
parking lot, more clearly delineated NPS management of the monument.
Spatial development eventually evolved to reflect the dual function of
the monument-recreation and management of a natural resource.