APPENDIX 1: IMPORTANT DATES FOR NAVAJO NATIONAL MONUMENT
Important dates in the History of Navajo National Monument
1895Richard Wetherill explores Keet Seel.
1897The Wetherill party returns to Keet Seel.
1906Antiquities Act, sponsoring the national monuments, becomes law.
1909March: Navajo National Monument is established.
July: John Wetherill, Byron L. Cummings, and party explore Inscription House.
August: The same group explores Betatakin.
1910J. Walter Fewkes and crew conplete a preliminary exploration of the monument.
1912The boundaries of the monument are reduced to 360 acres.
1914-5Chronology of Pueblo life first posited.
1917Neil Judd and crew stabilize Betatakin.
1927A. V. Kidder convenes the Pecos Conference.
1929Emil W. Haury links different dendronchronological timelines.
1930-1First road from Shonto Trading Post approaches the monument.
1933Civil Works Authority (CWA) stablization at Keet Seel.
1933First year of Rainbow Bridge-Monument Valley survey.
1934Milton Wetherill becomes first seasonal at Navajo.
1938John Wetherill retires as custodian.
1939Custodian's residence built.
1948Seth Bigman becomes first Navajo interpretive ranger at the monument.
1949More than 1,000 visitors come to Navajo for the first time.
1954First major exhibit in the museum in the contact station.
1956MISSION 66 first funded by Congress.
1958Navajo Nation road-building program begins.
1959Paving begins on the road from Tuba City to Kayenta.
1962May: Memorandum of Agree ment with the Navajo Nation is signed, allowing the beginning of major development at Navajo.
September: Tuba City-Kayenta highway is dedicated.
1965New Visitor Center opened; paved approach road completed; annual visitation reaches 20,000.
1966June: Dedication of the Visitor Center.
1966-1969Burst of innovative archeological work at Navajo. Jeffrey Dean, Keith Anderson, and Polly Schaafsma's work changes thinking about prehistoric life at the monument.
1967Cross-canyon trail begun.
1968Inscription House closed to the public.
1968Navajo Lands Group begins operation.
1969Visitation reaches 75,000.
1970-1972Black Mesa mine becomes a symbol of exploitation of Indian land.
1970NPS begins to monitor water-level drawdown from Peabody Coal Company's slurry.
1975Albert E. Ward indicates that Inscription House date is most likely 1861 rather than 1661.
1977Native American Religious Freedom Act becomes law.
1982Navajo Lands Group ceases operation.
1982Cross-canyon trail closed because of rockfalls.
1984John Laughter becomes maintenence supervisor the first Navajo in a permanent supervisory position at the monument.
1986Clarence N. Gorman becomes the first Navajo superintendent of Navajo National Monument.
Last Updated: 28-Aug-2006