1. Pelts of beaver were so widely sought in the early days that western exploration and eventual settlement was largely due to the search for these valuable fur bearing animals.
2. The young are generally born about April or May and the number varies from 2 to 6. (sometimes 8)
3. This animal is the largest of North American rodents (gnawing animals).
4. Contrary to popular belief mud, for use in construction of dams, houses, etc., is not carried on the broad, flat tail but in the fore paws which are held tight to the breast.
5. A slap on the surface of stream or pond with the tail also serves as warning signal.
|<<< Previous||> Cover <||Next >>>|