Although interest in observing the anniversary of the Battle of Moores Creek dates from the mid-19th Century, it was not until 1897 that the North Carolina legislature appropriated funds to acquire land at the historic site. During the early years funds were provided by North Carolina so that the area could be operated by the Moores Creek Battleground Association. Monuments were erected, weather shelters were provided and the park was well maintained. Annual anniversary celebrations were very popular, drawing crowds up to 5,000 in number.
In 1926, the Congress of the United States authorized the establishment of Moores Creek National Military Park to be administered by the War Department. North Carolina then transferred the lands to the Federal government. In 1933 the park was transferred to the Department of the Interior to be operated by the National Park Service.
For two decades the National Park Service did little to develop permanent facilities at Moores Creek, primarily because park lands were periodically submerged by flood waters. However, this problem was overcome in 1951 when North Carolina purchased an additional 12.23 acres of land and donated it to the park. This allowed enough high ground for the Mission 66 construction of the visitor center-utility building, roads, and trails. These facilities, along with the newly built Patriots Hall (a picnic shelter containing a meeting room and restroom), have provided for the appreciation, understanding and enjoyment of the park by thousands of visitors annually.
In order to provide for continued effective use in view of changing conditions, including the 1976 bicentennial celebration, this plan envisions the following major improvements:
Last Updated: 07-May-2007