Map 5. Troop Movements and Incidents, January 18 to April 11, 873.
1. January 18, Colonel Wheaton, with Oregon
Volunteers, the howitzers, and stragglers from other units returned
from Stronghold fight of January 17 to Van Brimmer's.
2. January 18, Major Green and all troops on east
side of Stronghold withdrew to Land's ranch. Leaving Captain Bernard
and Troop G at Land's, Green led rest of command around Tule Lake via
Lost River Ford to Van Brimmer's, arriving January 20.
3. January 21, Colonel Wheaton moved his headquarters
from Van Brimmer's to Lost River Ford. January 24, the Oregon Volunteers
disbanded. February 8, Colonel Gillem assumed command of all field
forces. February 9, Company I, 21st Infantry arrived at head
4. January 21-22, Captain Bernard moved his camp
from Land's Lake. February 18, Troop K join-to Applegate's ranch on
Cleared Bernard. March 17, Major Mason with Companies B, C, and I, 21st
Infantry arrived at Clear Lake from Lost River Ford. Mason assumed
command of eastern force.
5. January 22, Modocs attacked two wagons moving
grain from Land's to Applegate's and drove off detachment of 22
soldiers. Same day, Captain Bernard with Troop G recaptured wagons.
Exact site of attack unknown; said to be two miles from Land's.
6. February and early March, Troop F at Dorris'
7. Mid-February, General Canby and Peace
Commissioners arrived, and Gillem moved headquarters from Lost River
Ford to Fairchild's ranch. 21st Infantry Battalion remained at Lost
River Ford (See 4, above).
8. February 4, Batteries A and M, 4th Artillery
arrived at Van Brimmer's ranch. February 13, Battery E, 4th Artillery
arrived at Van Brimmer's.
9. March 11, Troop K marched from Applegate's to Van
Brimmer's via the southern part of the Lava Beds. Captured 34 Modoc
horses enroute. Arrived Van Brimmer's on March 15.
10. March 23, Canby moved his headquarters from
Fairchild's to Van Brimmer's.
11. March 24, Mason moved his command from
Applegate's to Scorpion Point. Warm Spring Scouts arrived April 13.
12. April 1, Canby and Gillem moved headquarters from
Van Brimmer's to base of bluff. New encampment known as Gillem's
13. April 7, Major Mason moved his command from
Scorpion Point to Hospital Rock.
14. April 11, Modocs attacked and fatally wounded
Lieutenant Sherwood, west of Hospital Rock. April 12, Modocs and
Mason's troops exchanged fire.
15. April 11, Eight Modocs attacked Peace
Commission, killing General Canby and Dr. Thomas.
A number of patrols was made during this period. They
are not shown on map because of a lack of information on their specific
March 21-22, Troop F from Van Brimmer's to Lava Beds
and return, 45 miles.
March 26, Troop F from Van Brimmer's to Lava Beds and
return, 30 miles.
March 27-29, Troop G from Scorpion Point, south and
east of Lava Beds, and return.
April 12, patrol from Scorpion Point to Juniper Butte
and Three Sisters Butte, and return.