Map 2. Lost River Fight, November 29, 1872.
1. November 28, Captain Jackson, with Troop B, 1st
Cavalry, left Fort Klamath for Modoc camps at mouth of Lost River.
2. Daylight, November 29, Jackson entered Captain
Jack's village. Fight. Modocs fled.
3. Daylight, November 29, 12 citizens from Crawley's
ranch entered Hooker Jim's village. Fight. Citizens withdrew to
Crawley's. Modocs fled.
4. After burning Captain Jack's village, Jackson
marched to Crawley's via Lost River Ford. (Water was too high at
Natural Bridge.) Established camp at Crawley's.
5. Captain Jack's band, and women, children, and
wounded from Hooker Jim's band, crossed Tule Lake by boat.
6. Hooker Jim and 12 warriors retreated around Tule
Lake, attacking settlers at Boddy's, Miller's, Brotherton's, and
possibly other ranches.