1. "Miss McCauley's Column," circa 1918 newsclipping (no publisher) from the Catherine A. Mitchell Papers, Chicago Committee Vice President, National Dunes Park Association, S2112, SubjectState Parks, Dunes, 1917-1919, Indiana State Library.
6. Carter H. Manny, "Hoosier Slide: The Greatest Mountain of Sand Which Existed in the Indiana Dune Area Along Lake Michigan," manuscript, n.d., Carter H. Manny Papers, 1890-1920, folder S926, Indiana State Library, Indiana Division.
7. George S. Cottman, Indiana Dunes State Park: A History and Description, Publication Number 97 (Indianapolis: State of Indiana, Department of Conservation, Division of Lands and Waters, 1930), p. 35, Lakeshore curator's filesIndiana Dunes State Park.
8. J. Ronald Engel, Sacred Sands: The Struggle for Community in the Indiana Dunes (Middletown, Ct., Wesleyan University Press, 1983), pp. 45-6, 80; Powell Moore, "Tales of the Indiana Dunes," The Calumet Region: Indiana's Last Frontier, reprinted (Indianapolis: Indiana Historical Bureau, 1977), p. 597; and Sylvia Troy, "Citizen Action for Preservation," The Indiana Dunes Story: How Nature and People Made a Park (Beverly Shores, Indiana: Shirley Heinze Environmental Fund, 1984), p. 32.
10. Stephen T. Mather, Report on the Proposed Sand Dunes National Park Indiana, U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service (Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1917), p. 5, Lakeshore curator's files#2639.
18. Thomas Wood Stevens, Book of the Historical Pageant of The Dunes, Port Chester, Indiana, on Lake Michigan: May 30 and June 3, 1917 (Chicago: The Dunes Pageant Association, 1917), pp. 1-3, Lakeshore curator's files No. 2588; and Moore, "Tales of the Indiana Dunes," p. 599.
20. Mrs. Catherine A. Mitchell to members of the National Dunes Park Association, form letter, 4 January 1918, Mitchell Papers, S2112, SubjectState Parks, Dunes, 1917-1919, S2112, Indiana State Library, Indiana Division.
23. Chicago Committee of the National Dunes Park Association, 15 May 1919, meeting, by Secretary pro tempore Catherine A. Mitchell, Mitchell Papers, S2112, SubjectState Parks, Dunes, 1917-1919, S2112, Indiana State Library, Indiana Division.
25. Orpheus Moyer Schantz, "Indiana's Unrivaled SandDunes A National Park Opportunity," Reprinted by Special Permission from the National Geographic Magazine, May 1919 (Gary: National Dunes Park Association, 1919), Lakeshore curator's files.
33. Richard Lieber to James P. Goodrich, Governor, State of Indiana, letter, 19 May 1937, Lieber Papers, L91 General Correspondence 1937, Box XIV, Folder 1, Indiana State Library, Indiana Division; Moore, "Tales of the Indiana Dunes," pp. 600, 606-7; Clemensen, Historic Resource Study, p. 28; and Engel, Sacred Sands, p. 252-3.
Last Updated: 07-Oct-2003