Historic Resource Study
Chain of Title for Dexter Lot, 134 N. Fifth Street
Chain of Title for 134 North Fifth Street (formerly 84 N. Fifth St.),
The address for James Dexter, 1790-1798
NOTE: The record has not yet been found entitling Caleb and Joshua Cresson to the
half block north of Cherry Street, but the likelihood is strong that they inherited the
real estate from Samuel Emlen, their relative (grandfather?).
Caleb Cresson and Joshua Cresson, Merchants, City of Philadelphia
Ebenezer Robinson, brushmaker
January 1, 1770 Lot 20 by 80 feet, to a certain 10 foot alley
GWR 6, 275 [Robinson insures a plain two story brick house, 1791
James Dexter, coachman, on record as tenant 1790-98]
Phineas Buckley and Joshua R. Smith
Executors to Estate of Ebenezer Robinson
John Jenkins, shoemaker
November 22 1823
Mary Jenkins, Administratrix
John Bechtel, shoemaker
20 June 1831 lot with a two-story brick messuage or tenement
AM 10, 666-669
Nov. 15, 1833 for purchase of ground rent ($200)
AM 44, 164
John Bechtel, shoe dealer
May 22 1834 lot with two-story brick messuage or tenement
AM 47, 247
George Neale, et ux,, farmer, Brandywine Hundred, Newcastle Co., Delaware
George F. Lee, brickayer, Northern Liberties
12 Oct. 1842 two-story brick messuage and lot
George F. Lee of Northern Liberties
Philip Doflein, Patternmaker, Phila.
14 August 1846 two-story brick messuage or tenement and lot
AWM 12, 510
Philip Doflein, pattern maker, and Helena his wife
Andrew Engelke, shopkeeper
Oct. 31, 1891
This deed transfers a four-story brick messuage or tenement and lot 19'8
from Cherry Street. The deed recites that Philip Dolfein "hath taken the
said two-story Brick messuage and Built & erected thereon the
4-story brick messuage," but does not give a date. The 4-story building,
which survived until the pre-demolition photographs of Block Three,
therefore was built sometime between 1846, when Dolfein took the title
to the property, and 1891, at the next deed transfer.]
Andrew Engelke died intestate 21 Dec 1896, leaving wife Katherine &
William F. Gibbons and John Engelke
6 May 1905 brick tenement & lot
W.S.V. 490, 26
Katherine Engelke Regenspurger and
M. Hanson & Co.
17 October 1927
JMH 265, 4
E.M. Hanson & Co., Inc., a PA corporation
General State Authority
December 1, 1958 lot with brick tenement
CITY DIRECTORIES, 1844-1900
McElroy's Philadelphia Directory,
1844-1845: chaser*, 84 N. Fifth St.
McElroy's 1847-1848: chaser, 84 N. Fifth St.
McElroy's 1855: chaser, 84 N. Fifth
*Chaser: "One who chases or engraves metal." Oxford English Dictionary
McElroy's 1857: trimming store & chaser, 84 N. Fifth St.
McElroy's 1858: trimming store & chaser, 134 N. Fifth St.
McElroy's 1860: no listing
McElroy's 1865: mouldmaker, 134 N. Fifth St.
Gospills Philadelphia City Directory for 1870: mouldmaker, 1 Clyde pl; home 134 N. Fifth St.
Gospills 1875: moulder, h 446 N. 7th Street
GospilIs 1880: h. 410 Green Street
Gospills 1885: bottlemoulds, 1 Clyde pl. h. 524 N. 4th S t.
Gospills 1890: moulds, 118 Clyde pl.
Gospills 1895: moulder, 1 Clyde pl. h. 524 N. 4th Gospills
Gospills 1900: Dolfein, Helen, wid Philip, h. 524 N. 4th
Dolfein, P. carpenter, 101 N. Reese
[pays Dolfein a mortgage in 1891 for the 4-story building and lot at
134 N. Fifth St.]
Gospills Directory, 1890: liquors, 134 N. 5th
Gospills 1895: fruit, 134 N. 5th St. h. 524 N. 4th St.
[the home address is same as Doflein's listing, 1885 ff, which suggests that they
have a family tie. Andrew Engelke died intestate in Dec. 1896; Catherine Engelke is
his widow and perhaps Dolfein's daughter.]
Gospills 1900: Catherine Engelke, fruit, 134 N. 5th St.
Gospills 1905: Katherine Engelke, fruit, 134 N. 5th St.
Gospills 1910: Katherine Engelke, fruit, 134 N. 5th St.
Gospills 1915: Katherine Engelke, cigars, 134 N. 5th
Katherine Engelke Regenspurger and Max Regenspurger, cigars, 134 N. 5 St. sell to
M. Hanson & Co., Oct. 17, 1927
Hanson & Company
Polk's-Boyd's Philadelphia Directory 1925, 1930, and 1934 list
Hanson & Co., electrotypers, 233 S. 8th St. [This was the only
Hanson & Co. listed; perhaps they invested in real estate and leased
this building and lot out until Dec. 1, 1958, when sold to the
Pennsylvania General State Authority.]
Last Updated: 05-May-2004