hh20r.htm =c@8" =c BDGt &H &Ȥ %~ (9 =c@ 'KTEXTR*ch//V渾d5 NPS Historical Handbook: Fort Laramie





on-line book icon



table of contents





FORT LARAMIE
National Historic Site
NPS logo




Efforts to Preserve the Fort

John Hunton and a few other citizens recognized the historic importance of the old fort and expressed regret at its decay. In 1913, despairing anything better, they erected a monument commemorating its long service as a military post on the Oregon Trail.

Lands and buildings changed hands. Absentee landlords, tenants, and souvenir hunters contributed much to the destruction of the historic buildings and to the scattering of priceless relics. Creation of the Wyoming Historical Landmark Commission in 1927 initiated efforts to achieve public ownership and to protect this historic site. Ten years later the State of Wyoming appropriated funds for the purchase and donation to the Federal Government of 214 acres of land, including the surviving buildings. By Presidential proclamation, this became Fort Laramie National Monument on July 16, 1938, under the administration of the National Park Service of the United States Department of the Interior.



Previous Next






top of page





History  |   Links to the Past  |   National Park Service  |   Search  |   Contact

Last Modified: Sat, Dec 9 2000 10:00:00 am PDT
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/hh/20/hh20r.htm

ParkNet Home



hhFH Monaco002R*chMonaco  Helvetica ConfidentialHhhFSORTFBBSTMPSRL