TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1 The French Régime
Chapter 2 Genesis of the North West Company
Chapter 3 Grand Portage Days, 1785-1793
Chapter 4 Growth and Change, 1793-1799
Chapter 5 The Last Years
Chapter 6 After the Fur Trade
Appendix 1 Summary of References to Structures at Grand Portage
Appendix 2 Returns
Appendix 3 Materials for Building a Post
Appendix 4 Fort William Inventory
Appendix 5 The Route, Grand Portage to Rainy Lake
Appendix 6 Seals and Marks
Appendix 7 Glossary of Fur Trade Terms
Appendix 8 French Canadian Voyageurs
Appendix 9 Archeology at Grand Portage
LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS AND MAPS
List of Illustrations1. Grand Portage encampment, Eastman Johnson, 1857.
2. Grand Portage encampment, Eastman Johnson, 1857.
3. Grand Portage Indians and buildings, about 1890.
4. Grand Portage village, about 1920.
5. Aerial of restored stockade.
6. Sketch of burial located by archeology. (omitted from the online edition)
7. Fort William, mistakenly titled Grand Portage.
8. Voyageurs in canoe, Frances Ann Hopkins, 1869.
9. Shooting the rapids, Frances Ann Hopkins.
10. Voyageurs at dawn, Frances Ann Hopkins, 1871.
11. Wolsley Expedition to Red River, 1870, Frances Ann Hopkins.
Cover. North West Company Seal, Supt. Eliot Davis, Fort Vancouver NHS.
Title Page. Beaver, from P. C. Phillips, The Fur Trade.
List of Maps1. North West Company's area of operations.
2. Grand Portage NM National Monument.
3. Grand Portage Stockadearcheology.
4. Fort Charlottearcheology.
5. Historic Base Map.
Last Updated: 15-Jul-2009