TABLE OF CONTENTS
CHAPTER I. Specific Available Data
CHAPTER II. Comparative Data: The Baking Process during the 1840's
CHAPTER III. Comparative Data: Ovens
CHAPTER IV. Comparative Data: Bakery Layout and Equipment
CHAPTER V. Comparative Data: Other Furnishings
CHAPTER VI. Recommendations
LIST OF PLATES
I. Contents of a cache of 1853 [showing a Royal Navy sea biscuit].
II. "Old bake oven" in one of the bastions at Lower Fort Garry, 1935.
III. Reconstructed H.B.C. bake ovens in Northwest Bastion, Lower Fort Garry.
IV. Oven entrance details, Northwest Bastion, Lower Fort Garry.
V. Plan of twin ovens in Northwest Bastion, Lower Fort Garry.
VI. Photograph labeled "bakery fireplaces, c. 1935," Lower Fort Garry.
VII. A typical Hudson's Bay Company square-headed axe. Hand-operated biscuit stamps.
VIII. Utensils employed during demonstrations of early 19th century baking methods, Officers' Kitchen, Fort York
IX. Detail of iron rake or rooker, Officers' Kitchen, Fort York.
X. Interior of H. B. C. Post at Pembina, 1848.
XI. Interior or a Red River settler's house, early 19th century.
LIST OF FIGURES
1. Foundation plan, 1844 Bakery
2. Loading wood faggots into an English country bake oven
3. A Medieval bakery
4. Diagram of one of two baking chambers in the Stable, Lower Fort Garry
5. Design for an English "common country oven," c. 1830-1860
6. An English bake oven, c. 1847
7. Diagram of a typical French bake oven, c. 1760
8. French bake oven door, c. 1760
9. Drawings of a wood-burning oven recommended for use by the U. S. Army, 1864
10. An early 19th century bakery
11. A two-oven bakehouse in 1842
12. An English bakehouse about 1854
13. "Scaling off" in an English bakery, c. 1854
14. Plans of small peel-oven bakehouses, 1911
15. Canadian tin candlesticks, 1763-1830
16. Various utensils used by French bakers, late 18th century
17. A French baker's rasp, late 18th century
18. One type of single "Canada" stove
19. Kneading trough in an English bakery, c. 1854
20. A wooden dough trough, c. 1903
21. Tin sconces used in Canada, c. 1763-1830
22. Acadian and French Canadian chairs
23. Suggested oven complex design
24. Suggested arrangement of larger furnishings in bakery
Last Updated: 28-Nov-2005