Historic Structure Report
II. STUDIES COMPLETED TO DATE
A. Architect's Preliminary Report of 1963
Plans were renewed once again by the citizens of Rome, in the early 1960's to reconstruct at least a portion of Fort Stanwix. The site was classified by Congress as a National Monument in 1935, although the original intent of the bill was not to rebuild the fort.
One thrust in this direction was initiated by Gilbert Hagerty, curator of the Fort Stanwix Museum. In 1963 Mr. Hagerty contacted Charles M. Stotz, a practicing architect in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Since the early 1940s Mr. Stotz had been involved in extensive research on prerevolutionary war forts in western Pennsylvania, and in 1947 he was commissioned by the Fort Ligonier Memorial Foundation to supervise the research and planning for the reconstruction of Fort Ligonier. With this background in military fortifications, Mr. Stotz was a likely candidate to choose for consultation on the proposed reconstruction of Fort Stanwix.
Messrs. Stotz and Hagerty spent several days together traveling through New York State and the lower Canadian provinces studying military forts of this area. Utilizing this information and the military maps from the "Crown Collection," Stotz and Hagerty worked out a preliminary design concept for the development of the Fort Stanwix site. Mr. Stotz' report, dated November 18, 1963, is included in the Appendices of this report.
B. Archeologist's Report of 1965
In 1965, the Urban Renewal Agency of Rome authorized Col. Duncan Campbell, Director of the William Penn Museum at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, to conduct a spot exploratory study on the site of Fort Stanwix to determine the feasibility of carrying out a full-scale archeological project.
The results of Colonel Campbell's efforts can be read in two reports: "Archeological Survey Site of Fort Stanwix" by J. Duncan Campbell, August 20, 1965, containing 14 pages of typescript and six sheets of drawings; and "Illustrative Report of 1965 Archeological Explorations at Fort Stanwix," having a preface written by John R. Hurley, Director, Rome Urban Renewal Agency, dated September 17, 1965, and containing eight progress photographs and one sheet of drawings. Both reports can be seen at the Jervis Library in Rome.
C. N.P.S. Archeologists' Reports, 1970-73
A program of full-scale archeological excavations on the site was begun by the National Park Service in July 1970 and continued through November 13, 1972. The archeological report was published by the National Park Service as No. 14 in the series Publications in Archeology, by Lee Hanson and Dick Ping Hsu.
D. The Master Plan of 1967
A Master Plan for Fort Stanwix National Monument was developed by the National Park Service at the request of the City of Rome in 1964. This Master Plan, issued in 8" x 10-1/2" booklet form, was approved on March 14, 1967, by Associate Director Howard W. Baker.
Because the Master Plan was prepared prior to N.P.S. ownership and before the historical and archeological research was completed, its contents regarding the fort and its construction features are vague and partially inaccurate. Presumably the 1967 Master Plan will be revised, utilizing all the new information gathered since 1967.
E. The Historian's Report of 1969
Archival research, concentrating on the story of Fort Stanwix (1758-1781), was conducted by N.P.S. historian John F. Luzader.
The results of this research can be read in his 182-page report entitled "The Construction and Military History of Fort Stanwix," printed in 1969 by the Office of Archeology and Historic Preservation, N.P.S.
Included in the text of the report are seven contemporary British plans of the fort, two American drawn plans (post-siege of 1777), and one diagram showing the layout of Fort Stanwix in August of 1777, as hypothecated by Mr. Luzader according to date available to him at the time.
F. H.A.B.S. Survey of 1970
In the spring of 1970, the Rome Urban Renewal Agency contracted with the Historic American Buildings Survey to prepare a historical architectural report entitled "History of the 19th Century Urban Complex on the Site of Fort Stanwix," This report was researched and written by Diana S. Waite of Albany, New York, and was submitted in typescript form in June of 1970. Photographs included with the text were taken by Jack E. Boucher for H.A.B.S. After final editing and arrangement of subject matter, the report was published in 1972 by the New York State Historic Trust.
G. Further Research on the Empire House in 1971
The Empire House had a reputation for being the oldest standing structure in Rome. It stood on the glacis opposite the southwest bastion of the fort and, traditionally, the small two-story wing was said to have been built around 1796. There were some persons interested in saving this part of the house if it were actually old. Conclusive documentation was not found during Mrs. Waite's research.
In August 1971 the Urban Renewal Agency contracted with Mr. Charles E. Peterson of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to investigate the fabric of the Empire House in order to determine its date of construction. Mr. Peterson examined the structure on August 11-12 and found it to date from the 19th century. His report was mailed to the URA and Fort Stanwix NM on August 25, 1971.
H. Interpretive Development Concept, 1971
An eight page report was written by Nan V. Rickey, Interpretive Planner, N.P.S., for the Eastern Service Center, Office of Environmental Planning and Design, in March 1971.
This report, based on the information available in 1971, attempts to establish guidelines for the future interpretation and use of the site. Continued excavation work on the site by the archeologists in 1972 and additional research into the historical documents by several interested persons have culled much new data. The guidelines of 1971 will be revised to incorporate these findings.
Last Updated: 26-Dec-2008