This is the earliest known diagram of Fort Larned. It was drawn about 1863 or 1864. Note the building complex associated with the quartermaster corral.
Drawn about 1866 this diagram shows Fort Larned just before the beginning of the Rockwell's construction program. The diagram is especially good for descriptions of the early structures.
This diagram was also drawn about 1866 and is similar to Plate 2. Only two ditches, however, appear on this map. In addition, the structures around the quartermaster corral seem to be incorporated in a single unit.
This map, drawn in September 1867, is the only map or diagram showing the new buidlings. Note that the quartermaster corral is no longer shown.
This is the historical base map from the Fort Larned Master Plan. Although there are a few minor mistakes, it shows the location of the principal structures during the historical period, 1859-1878.
This photograph shows farm activities at Fort Larned. Its date is unknown, but it was probably taken sometime after 1910, when the post had passed to the Frizell family.
Another photograph of farm activities during the period of the Frizell family ownership. Note how some of the structures have been altered.
In 1866 Cuvier Grover submitted this layout with plans for the buildings. When the Quartermaster General refused to approve them, General Sherman requested that he be given control of construction in his military division.
This 1867 plan for a storehouse at Ft. Lyon is a standard plan adopted for use in the Department of Missouri. Although the Larned storehouses are not dimensionally similar to this plan, it is suggested the floor plan be followed in interior partitioning of the quartermaster storehouse.
This is another 1867 plan from Fort Lyon. The commanding officer's quarters at Larned appear to be a smaller version of this plan.
This 1867 sketch of Fort Larned shows the dugouts along the banks of Pawneee Creek used as quarters for enlisted men and civilian employees.
This sketch, also drawn in 1867, shows the fort before the beginning of the construction program. Note the tents for quartering the soldiers. In addition, the commissary storehouse, Building 5, is shown with three doors and numerous windows in the north elevation.
Last Updated: 30-Nov-2009