Survey of Historic Sites and Buildings
This house is representative of the Rhode Island "stone-ender" type, a regional variation in construction stemming from Rhode Island's abundant supply of building stone, as compared to Massachusetts and Connecticut. When first built, it had only one room, which had a fireplace at one end. When a rear lean-to was added later, for a kitchen, a new chimney was joined to the original one; the whole was so wide that it almost covered that end of the house.
Composed of numerous pilasters, the chimney top is one of New England's most imposing. The remainder of the two-story structure is of clapboard, and features a sharp-peaked front gable and a long roof over the kitchen. The outstanding interior feature is the huge hall fireplace, which has an oak mantel more than 12 feet long. The house is owned by the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities, under whose aegis it was restored in the 1930's. It is open daily except Monday from June 15 to October 15; at other times, by applying to the custodian in an adjacent house.
NHL Designation: 12/24/68
This site illustrates New England's struggle with the Indians in the 17th century. On December 19, 1675, during the bloody King Philip's War, forces of the United Colonies stormed a formidable fort of the Narragansett Indians in Rhode Island's Great Swamp and crushed the Indians for all time. Many warriors escaped the disaster, but hundreds of older Indians, including women and children, were slaughtered, and the Narragansetts' winter food supply was destroyed. It was a decisive blow against King Philip's effort to overwhelm white settlements in New England. A marker on the Great Swamp indicates the approximate location of the Indian fort.
Last Updated: 22-Mar-2005