Survey of Historic Sites and Buildings
This rocky headland, 700 feet high, was discovered in 1778 by Capt. John Meares, an English explorer, who found the bay closed by a sand barrier and called it "Quicksand Bay." The cape probably had been sighted in 1775 by the Spanish explorer Bruno Heceta. The north side is still wild and beautiful, unchanged except for an unobtrusive Coast Guard station. On the south side are a number of summer beach cottages.
Last Updated: 22-Mar-2005