Survey of Historic Sites and Buildings
Built about 1643, Cross Manor is probably the oldest house in Maryland. Constructed of brick on a 2,000-acre grant that Thomas Cornwallis obtained in 1639, it originally had a gambrel roof. The roof was later changed to a gabled design and other alterations were made. The gardens, about as old as the residence, are of interest; some of the ancient boxwood are at least 35 feet in circumference. The house is privately owned, but may be visited by appointment.
This frame farmhouse, situated on a hill overlooking St. Leonard's Creek, is a superlative specimen of an unpretentious early farm dwelling. Dating from about 1670, it still has the original pine siding. Three small dormer windows jut from the steep roof, and brick chimneys are located at each end of the house. A log cabin, added sometime after the original construction, now forms an attractive wing. The house has been restored and furnished with period furniture. Though privately owned, it may be visited by appointment.
This is one of Maryland's most appealing and lovely early colonial houses, both on the interior and exterior. The original section of the T-shaped residence was constructed about 1667, and the most recent wing about 1720. The one-story brick house has gabled ends, a steeply pitched roof, and several imposing chimneys. Boxwood and flower borders complement the exterior. Inside, two original murals are especially noteworthy, one located over a mantel and the other over the dining room door. After the house was restored, the owners installed a collection of early 18th-century American and French antiques. The house is privately owned, but it is open by appointment.
Last Updated: 22-Mar-2005