RESOURCES MANAGEMENT AND RESEARCH
4Memorandum, Associate Regional Director Howard Baker to Director [Newton Drury], February 23, 1950; memorandum, Archeologist Paul Beaubien to Merriam, June 26, 1950; Monthly Narrative Report, May 1950; Activities Report, June 18-24, 1950; and Beaubien, "Preliminary Notes on an Archeological Project in Northeastern Iowa" Journal of the Iowa Archeological Society 1(1953).
6Memorandum, Merriam to Regional Director, Region Three, Fish and Wildlife Service, Minneapolis, February 12, 1952; memorandum, Merriam to District Engineer Yoder, Corps of Engineers, St. Paul, March 3, 1952; and memorandum, Acting Regional Director John S. McLaughlin to Drury, March 12, 1953.
7"GS" refers to the Federal government's general service grade schedule for ranking employees. Higher grades require stiffer requirements for eligibility and greater levels of responsibility than lower grades in the same jobtype series.
25"Rediscovered" is a more accurate term, since T.H. Lewis recorded two bears, one other unspecified animal effigy, thirteen embankments, and thirtyseven conicals on the Nazekaw terrace in 1892. In 1926, Ellison Orr recorded two bear effigies and seven conicals at the site. When Luther College conducted a survey in 1976, they located only three conicals and two linear mounds on the Nazekaw terrace. See Dean Thompson to Superintendent Thomas Munson, March 1, 1976.
29Memorandum, Munson to Regional Director [Beal], September 15, 1978; David Berwick, interview with the author, November 14, 1988; David W. Benn and Dean M Thompson, "Preliminary Investigation of the FTD Site (13AM210) by the Luther College Archaeological Research Laboratory" (Decorah, Iowa: Luther College, 1976), 10; letter, Benn and Thompson to Col. Forrest Gray III, District Engineer, Corps of Engineers, January 20, 1976; and letter, Benn and Thompson to Adrian Anderson, January 20, 1976.
33See letter, James E. Mount to George J. Minnucci, Jr., Eastern National Parks & Monuments Association, February 27, 1979. According to Jim David, the National Park Service's allocation of 3,500 and the association's matching offer were intended to spur the Corps of Engineers to action. David to author, February 16, 1989.
40The other Clark College volunteers included Carl Mann, Elizabeth Shepard, Stephanie Hoffman, Arndt Braaten, Cena Nielson, Gunilla Ander, EvaLena Persson, Haakon Vennemo, Morten Strand, Laura Hampton, Tim Rawson, Judy Abbeglen, Jud Fisher, Laurie Frye, and Walt Mauer. See letter, Superintendent Thomas Munson to Dr. Elsin Farwell, April 28, 1980.
43Letter, Gary G. Brown, Aerial Services, Inc., to F.A. Calabrese, Chief, Midwest Archeological Center, September 3, 1986; memorandum, Munson to Calabrese, March 18, 1986; and memorandum, Archeologist Janis Dial-Jones to Calabrese, June 18, 1987.
All of this clearly points out the difficulty of survey work at Sny Magill, where heavy brush and poison ivy cover the mounds throughout the growing season.
52Notice of Award, PX6115-7-0224. Scott to E.A. Bettis III, Iowa Department of Natural Resources; letter, Calabrese to Bettis, March 1, 1988; and Midwest Regional Archeologist Mark Lynott, personal communication with author, November 21, 1988.
55Notice of Award, PX6115-7-0223, Scott, to Dr. Dale Henning, Luther College, Decorah, Iowa, September 16, 1987. Henning was the second to research rock shelters within the national monument; Robert W. Petersen conducted a reconnaissance survey of rock shelters in 1985. See Petersen, "Survey of Potential Rock Shelter Sites, Effigy Mounds National Monument," Manuscript, (National Park Service, 1985).
Last Updated: 08-Oct-2003