DEVELOPING THE NATIONAL MONUMENT
1Monthly Narrative Reports, December
1949-February 1950; and F.R. Robertson to files, April 19, 1950.
2Monthly Narrative Reports, March-June
3Activities Reports, March-June, 1950.
4The number was changed to 76 on January
1, 1969, when several states adjusted their highway numbers to conform
with neighboring states. See C.S. Carmean, Traffic Engineer, Iowa State
Highway Commission, to Superintendent Milt Thompson, October 23, 1968;
and Des Moines Sunday Register, March 24, 1968.
5Activities Reports, March 5-May 27, 1950,
inclusive; and Monthly Narrative Reports, December 1949-February 1950
and May-July 1950.
6Monthly Narrative Reports, April and May
1951; and Robert G. Hall, Assistant Regional Director, to Director
[Newton Drury], January 16, 1951.
The following October, Kennedy hired Marquette farmer
Ralph Blackwell to build a temporary equipment storage shed which also
housed a small office. Blackwell provided his own tractor, loader
gasoline, materials, and labor for a fee of $3.00 per hour.  The National Park Service also constructed
two privies for public use.
7See Regional Historian Merrill Mattes and
Chief of Lands George F. Ingalls to files, September 11, 1950; and
miscellaneous correspondence between the National Park Service and the
State Highway Commission, May 12-September 11, 1950.
8Monthly Narrative Reports, July and
August 1950; and Monthly Narrative Report, October 1952.
9Superintendent William J. Kennedy to
Regional Director [Lawrence C. Merriam], Region II, October 16,
10Regional Architect John B. Cabot to
Kennedy, December 5, 1951.
11Assistant Regional Director Hall to
Kennedy, May 9, 1952.
12 Monthly Narrative Reports,
January-June and November 1952.
13Monthly Narrative Reports, March-June
14Monthly Narrative Report, September
15 Monthly Narrative Reports, May-August
1952; and [Draft] Mission 66 Prospectus, July 13, 1955.
16Monthly Narrative Reports,
17 Monthly Narrative Reports, May-August
18Monthly Narrative Report, September
19Monthly Narrative Reports,
20[Draft] Mission 66 Prospectus, July 13,
21See Monthly Narrative Reports,
22Conrad L. Wirth, Parks, Politics,
and the People (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1980), 58.
23Reader's Digest, January
24See Wirth, Parks. Politics, and the
25Wirth, Parks. Politics, and the
People, 238. For a more thorough discussion of Mission 66, see
Chapter 9, "Mission 66 and the Road to the Future," 237-284.
26Master Plan Draft Outline, 1953; and
National Park Service drawings NMEFF 2002 and 2003, 1951.
27See [Draft] Mission 66 Prospectus,
Effigy Mounds National Monument, July 13, 1955; and Mission 66
prospectus, Effigy Mounds National Monument, June 2, 1956.
28Mission 66 Prospectus, June 29,
30See memorandum, Regional Director
Howard Baker to Wirth, April 6, 1956; and Monthly Narrative Report, June
31Memorandum, Baker to Wirth, April 6,
1956; and Monthly Narrative Report, June 1959.
32Memorandum, Superintendent Walter T.
Berrett to Baker, June 29, 1956.
33Memorandum, Edward S. Zimmer, Chief,
Eastern Office of Design and Construction, to Wirth, November 29,
34Memorandum, John B. Cabot, Acting
Assistant Regional Director, Midwest Region, to Wirth, November 27,
1953; memorandum, Thomas C. Vint, Chief, Eastern Office of Design and
Construction, to Baker, January 4, 1954; memorandum, Baker to Wirth,
July 1, 1955; memorandum, Berrett to Baker, July 7, 1955; handwritten
note, Zimmer to Berrett, July 13, 1955; and memorandum Vint to Baker,
August 25, 1955.
35Memorandum, Zimmer to Wirth, January
36See memorandum, Berrett to Zimmer,
November 25, 1957; memorandum, Baker to Zimmer, December 3, 1957;
memorandum, Dick Sutton, Acting Chief, Eastern Office of Design and
Construction, to Zimmer, December 26, 1957; and memorandum, Berrett to
Zimmer, August 27, 1958.
37Letter, Acting Secretary of the
Interior Hatfield Chilson to Congressman Henry O. Talle, March 19, 1957;
and memorandum, Berrett to Zimmer, May 13, 1958.
38Meir Sofair, "Completion Report
Narrative, Visitor Center Two Residences Storage and
Workshop Building and Water Sewage Systems" January .
39Memorandum, Zimmer to Baker, September
40Sofair, "Completion Report Narrative,
Visitor Center Two Residences (2)," January 1961; and memorandum,
Berrett to Baker, April 28, 1958.
42Robert T. Bray, Acting Superintendent,
Effigy Mounds National Monument, to Baker, September 22, 1958.
43The Service installed two separate
sewage systems, one serving the visitor center, the other serving the
44 Monthly Narrative Report, December
1959; and Sofair, "Completion Report of Construction Project, Sewer and
Water Systems," January 1961.
45Ibid.; and Monthly Narrative Report,
46Sofair, "Completion Report of
Construction Project, Residences (2)," January 1961; and Monthly
Narrative Report, February 1960.
47Sofair, "Completion Report of
Construction Project, Residences (2)," January 1961; and Monthly
Narrative Report, January 1961.
48Sofair, "Completion Report Narrative,"
49Sofair, "Completion Report Narrative";
and Monthly Narrative Report, June 1960.
50Sofair, "Completion Report of
Construction Project," March 15, 1961.
51Daniel J. Tobin, Jr., "Completion
Report of Construction Project," December 4, 1961.
52Monthly Narrative Reports, September
1960 and May 1961.
53Garland J. Gordon, "Completion Report
Narrative, Entrance Sign," July 23, 1963.
54Memorandum, Berrett to Baker, April 29,
55George Baggley, "Report on Field Study
for an Access Road Proposed by Iowa Conservation Commission Across
SnyMagill Tract, Effigy Mounds National Monument" (National Park
Service, August 6, 1958), passim.
56Monthly Narrative Reports, June 1959
and August 1959; and letter, John F. Alton, Acting Regional Chief of
Operations, to Chief, Eastern Office of Design and Construction, May 5,
57Letter, W.A. Elkins, Acting Regional
Director, Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife, to the Iowa
Conservation Commission, March 4, 1959; and Special Use Permit No.
FW-34-D. See also memorandum, Baggley to Tobin, January 2, 1959.
58In 1966, the National Park Service
objected to the mooring of boats in the slough near the boat ramp. The
state, noting that the Service could refuse to renew the special use
permit, ordered the boats removed. See letter, Superintendent Stuart
Maule to Everett B. Speaker, Director, Iowa Conservation Commission,
October 12, 1965; letter, Gary Ackerman, District Fisheries Super visor,
to K.M. Madden, July 11, 1966; and letter, Madden to Maule, July 29,
59Tobin, "Completion Report of
Construction Project," March 9, 1960.
60Tobin, "Completion Report of
Construction Project, Trail and Signs, North Area," March 15, 1962.
61See telegram, Baggley to Superintendent
[Stuart Maule], Effigy Mounds National Monument, May 24, 1965; and
memorandum, Maule to Regional Director [Lemuel Garrison], Midwest
Region, May 25, 1965.
62National Park Service Contract
63National Park Service Contract
CX6000-3-0112, September 29, 1983, $41,500.00; and memorandum,
Maintenance Worker Bernard J. Carnicle to Contracting Officer, Midwest
Region, February 29, 1984.
64National Park Service Contract
65National Park Service Contract
66Notice of Award, September 22, 1981,
67Notice of Award, June 30, 1986,
68National Park Service Contract
69Amendment of Solicitation/Modification
of Contract CX6000-4-0014, December 13, 1983, $118,368.02.
70National Park Service Contract
CX6000-7-0042, $43,832.00; memorandum, Chief of Maintenance Tom Sinclair
to Architect Michael Fees, Midwest Region, January 30, 1987; and James
David to author, February 18, 1989.
71Letter, Maule to Odell C. Solem,
District Planner, Iowa Department of Transportation, August 14, 1978;
R.L. Humphrey, "Project Concept Development: Improvement of Iowa 76 in
the Vicinity of Effigy Mounds National Monument," October 1978; and Fact
File, Effigy Mounds National Monument.
72Notice of Award, National Park Service
Contract CX6000-1-0072, $10,023.00.
73National Park Service Contract
PX6000-5-0060, August 30, 1985.
74Quotation is from letter,
Superintendent Thomas Munson to David L. Moeller, District II Fisheries
Supervisor, Iowa Conservation Commission, July 13, 1984. Other
information in this paragraph is from letter, Moeller to Munson,
December 2, 1983; memorandum, Jim David to Jack Strain, Regional Chief
of Planning and Environmental Quality, March 26, 1984; and memorandum,
Strain to David, April 3, 1984.
75Letter, Regional Director Charles H.
Odegaard to Larry Wilson, Director, Iowa Conservation Commission,
September 14, 1984.
76Special Use Permit No.
MWREFMO600100l, May 21, 1987.
Last Updated: 08-Oct-2003