VISITATION AND CONCESSIONS OPERATIONS IN CRATER LAKE NATIONAL PARK: 1916-PRESENT
As one of the "jewels" of the embryonic National Park System, Crater Lake National Park became the focus of Park Service publicity efforts to promote visitation. In 1917 the bureau issued an automobile guide map (a copy of which may be seen below) for the park. The map showed automobile highways leading to the park as well as the park road system, visitor accommodations, trails, and points of interest.
At the behest of NPS Director Mather, the Crater Lake publicity effort was supported by the Southern Pacific Railroad and the National Parks Highway Association. The railroad promoted travel to Yosemite, Sequoia, Lassen Volcanic, and Crater Lake national parks with various excursion fare offers. As a result of negotiations between Mather and the railroad, tickets between Portland and California points during 1917 entitled purchasers to stop over at Medford for a trip to Crater Lake. If a traveler entered the park via one gateway and left by another, his ticket was honored for continuation to his destination. Hence it was possible to go to the park from Klamath Falls and exit out the western gateway to Medford in connection with a trip to Portland. On the other hand, a party bound for California was permitted to stop at Medford, go through the park, and connect again with the Southern Pacific Railroad lines at Klamath Falls.
The National Parks Highway Association, with headquarters in Spokane, assumed leadership in designating a park-to-park highway connecting the major national parks in the West. During the spring of 1917, the association mapped and sign-posted a route from its terminus of the previous year in Mount Rainier National Park to Crater Lake, thus connecting Yellowstone, Glacier, Mount Rainier, and Crater Lake national parks by what was known as the National Parks Highway.
In addition to these efforts, the National Park Service continued the practice of the Department of the Interior in publishing annual general information circulars for the parks. The 1917 circular for Crater Lake not only described the park's scenery and resources in glowing terms but also its visitor accommodations, transportation facilities, and means of reaching the park. The circular described the lake as an "unforgettable spectacle":
The circular provided considerable information on the services and accommodations provided by the Crater Lake Company, which had agreed to a revised five-year concession contract with the Department of the Interior effective January 1, 1917. The company operated daily automobile service between Medford (83 miles from the park) and Klamath Falls (62 miles from the park) and Crater Lake. Automobiles left the Hotels Medford and Nash in Medford each morning, stopped for lunch at Prospect, and reached the lake in the evening. Returning automobiles left Crater Lake each morning, reaching Medford in time to connect with outgoing evening trains. Automobiles left the White Pelican Hotel in Klamath Falls each morning and arrived at the lake at noon. Returning automobiles left the lake after lunch and reached the White Pelican Hotel in time for supper. The rates for these automobile services were:
The circular described the hotel and camps operated by the Crater Lake Company in the park. These accommodations, along with the rates charged for such services, were:
The Crater Lake Company operated a general store at Anna Spring Camp and a branch store at Crater Lake Lodge. The stores sold provisions, tourists' supplies, gasoline, motor oil, hay and grain, fishing gear, drugs, Kodak film supplies, and bakers' goods.
While visitors were permitted to provide their own transportation and to camp in the park, subject to regulations, the Crater Lake Company operated in-park concession automobile, saddle horse, and stage transportation services. Fares and rates for these services were:
The circular also contained a section on the principal points of interest (a copy of which may be seen on the following page) in the park and nearby areas. Arrangements for trips to these points in the park could be made at the Crater Lake Lodge. For trips to Mount Thielson, Diamond Lake, and other remote points camp equipage, pack horses, and a guide could be secured at the lodge. 
PRINCIPAL POINTS OF INTEREST.
Distances from Crater Lake Lodge by road or trail to principal points.
Despite these publicity efforts, visitation to Crater Lake declined in 1917, primarily because heavy snowfall in late spring delayed regular tourist travel by several months. After considerable "shoveling of snow" by Crater Lake Company employees, automobiles arrived at park headquarters on July 7 and at Crater Lake Lodge on July 18. The roads, however, were not in condition for regular travel until August 1. The number of visitors and automobiles that entered the park in 1916 and 1917 were:
A total of 1,766 automobile and 15 motorcycle licenses were issued during 1917, and $4,433 in receipts were collected from vehicles entering the park. 
Among the visitors to the park during 1917 was a large group of members of the Knights of Pythias Order. On August 14 the group held initiation ceremonies in the crater of Wizard Island--a practice that had been commenced several years earlier. 
Weather continued to play a major role in determining the extent of park visitation. The light snowfall of only ten feet during the winter of 1917-18, combined with warm weather early in the spring, made it possible for automobiles to reach the lake by June 18, one month earlier than the preceding year. As a result visitation to Crater Lake increased to 13,231 in 1918. The numbers of visitors entering the park were:
The statistics relating to the means of transportation of the visitors were:
The number of motor vehicles entering the park were:
In 1919 visitation increased by more than 25 percent to 16,645, while the number of motor vehicles entering the park rose by some 50 percent to 4,637. Several delegations of visitors toured the park in 1919, thus showing the increasing popularity of the park Among the visiting contingents were 66 members of the Massachusetts Forestry Association on July 28-30 and 17 members of the Travel Club of America on August 16-18. The most illustrious visit, however, occurred on August 11 when nearly 400 members of the National Editorial Association visited the park. Since the lodge could not accommodate all of these guests, the Ashland and Medford chambers of commerce furnished blankets and camping supplies and the park contributed tents for the convenience of the group. 
The 1919 general information circular advertised several new attractions in the park that were designed to enhance the visitor's experience. The public camp grounds on the rim west of the lodge had been enhanced, one of the principal improvements being the installation of a large tank and pumping equipment to furnish an ample water supply not only for drinking and cooking purposes but also for showers. Sightseeing opportunities had been improved by a
Five small launches, ten steel rowboats, and a 36-foot boat had been ordered by the Crater Lake Company to replace seven rowboats and a small launch that had been damaged in a storm the previous September. In addition to these boats that were available for rent by the hour or day, an expanded schedule of launch trips on the lake was provided:
Visitation to Crater Lake increased by more than 20 percent in 1920 to 20,135. NPS Director Mather reported on the reasons behind this increase:
Weather conditions again played a significant factor in the increased visitation. In this regard Superintendent Sparrow observed:
Statement showing automobile travel, by States and entrances, season of 1920.
Annual Report of the Director of the National Park Service, 1920, pp. 279-80. The year 1920 was the first in which a statistical breakdown of automobile travel by states and entrances was compiled.
A visit to the park during July 17-19, 1920, by members of the House Appropriations Committee, accompanied by NPS Director Mather and E.O. McCormick, vice president of the Southern Pacific Railroad, brought to a head a smoldering dispute between the Park Service and the Crater Lake Company. Although reservations for the visitors were booked in advance, the lodge was not prepared to adequately care for them. This led to considerable criticism, particularly from Mather who reprimanded Crater Lake President Parkhurst and threatened to cancel his concession contract. One of the causes of the dispute was attributed to the fact that the lodge "was not opened in time to get things in working order or the crew organized before tourists began to arrive in larger numbers than had been anticipated." The incident had a negative impact on park visitation, according to Superintendent Sparrow, because "in some manner the impression got out, about July 15, that this park was closed, and many intending visitors passed us by." Sparrow took the opportunity to elaborate on some longstanding problems park management had been having with the concessioner:
Director Mather was so incensed by the problems with the lodge that he devoted considerable attention to the matter in his annual report for 1920. He described his personal dissatisfaction with the services being offered by the Crater Lake Company:
At Mather's request, Oregon Governor Benjamin W. Olcott appointed a nine-member commission in August 1920 to investigate the status of Crater Lake concessions and develop a "practicable plan" for securing improvements. The committee, consisting of businessmen from Portland and Southern Oregon towns, was given a mandate by the governor to take "care of the interests of the present hotel management" and devise "plans for placing the accommodations at the lake on a basis which will be satisfactory to the national park management and to the thousands of tourists who annually visit this natural wonder." It was Mather's hope that with the results of the study funds could be raised in Oregon to purchase the property of the Crater Lake Company and rehabilitate the enterprise, the "parties subscribing the funds to organize and operate in much the same way as similar groups are now organized for the development of the Yosemite and Mount Rainier properties." 
In September 1920 the Department of the Interior informed Parkhurst of its intention to have improvements made in the Crater Lake Company facilities. After listing a series of alleged violations of his contract, the department stated its desire to have Parkhurst answer each charge and propose remedial measures to correct each criticism. If his response were "not timely made" or was "not deemed sufficient to overcome these charges," a hearing would be held. If evidence demonstrated that the company had not fulfilled its contract obligations, its lease would be annulled and revoked. 
Meanwhile, the Crater Lake Committee appointed by Governor Olcott conducted its investigation under the direction of its chairman, Sydney B. Vincent. The committee investigated each of 26 charges which had been leveled against the company:
Regarding the accommodations and services provided by the Crater Lake Company, the committee noted that high costs, short seasons, and large crowds made it extremely difficult to bring park concession operations up to the standards desired by Parkhurst himself and others. The committee concluded its report with a sympathetic discussion of the plight facing Parkhurst:
Through the efforts of Mather a conference of Oregon businessmen was held during the winter of 1920-21 to work out arrangements for the refinancing and reorganization of Crater Lake park concessions. In his annual report for 1921 Director Mather described at length the financial reorganization and subsequent improvement to concession accommodations and services:
Mather concluded his remarks on the new concession arrangements by discussing its wide support by Oregon business interests. He noted:
In April 1921 the lodge and other concession operations in the park were placed under the day-to-day management of E.E. Larimore, an experienced hotel manager on the Pacific Coast. The change of management had an immediate impact on lodge operations. On August 29 the Medford Mail Tribune described these changes in atmosphere and efficiency:
Park visitation increased by more than 40 percent for a total of 28,617 in 1921 despite the late opening of park roads due to late spring snows. The increase was attributed in part to the concessioner arrangements as well as improvements to the three public campgrounds in the park. Water facilities were installed at the Rim Campground, and toilets were constructed in each of the campgrounds. Some 14,000 persons, or 50 percent of park visitors, used the campgrounds. 
The Scenic America Company, a Portland-based firm headed by Fred H. Kiser, opened a photographic studio west of the lodge on August 25, 1921. Prior to the erection of the stone building the studio had operated in a tent. Under the terms of its concession contract the company sold photographic souvenirs, post cards, oil enlargements, and camera supplies. According to Mather, the establishment of this studio brought "to the park permanently the genius and artistic influence" of a man "who knows the national park system as well as anybody in the Northwest, and who for many years has aided this bureau by supplying pictures, by lecturing, and by writing on the parks and other western mountain regions". 
In June 1922, just prior to the opening of the tourist season, the Crater Lake National Park Company formally acquired the concession facilities leased to them by the Parkhurst interests the previous year. The lodge was improved, and on July 11 construction was begun on an $80,000 eighty-room addition. Under a two-year subcontract to William T. Lee of Klamath Falls a fleet of six "powerful new seven-passenger [Packard] touring cars" was introduced to provide improved service between the park and Medford and Klamath Falls. A five-year subcontract was let to the Standard Oil Company of California to construct and operate a gasoline service station at Anna Spring, thus filling a long-felt need by the motoring public. 
To protect the investment of the new concessioner and to encourage the development of plans for further comprehensive improvements and extensions in accommodations for park visitors a new franchise was granted the Crater Lake National Park Company by the Department of the Interior. The contract, signed on December 7, 1922, but made retroactive to January 1, provided for a twenty-year arrangement to cover hotel, camp, transportation, and other visitor services. While the contract offered "inducements for progressive development of the Crater Lake properties," it also contained, according to NPS Director Mather, "reciprocal obligations on the part of the owner to keep abreast of the demand for increased facilities, in so far as this can be done with due regard to the short season, reasonable return on the investment, and similar considerations." 
The detailed provisions of the contract were designed to circumvent problems that had arisen with the former Crater Lake Company. Among other things the contract stated:
The new company was given the right to occupy certain portions of the park to maintain its facilities and operate them. All plans for construction were to be approved by the Secretary of the Interior. The company was authorized to use timber, stone, and other building materials taken from the park for construction purposes, establish electric light plants and telephone and telegraph service, and graze horses. Provision was made for the renewal of the contract for a period not to exceed twenty years. The company was allowed to earn annually 6 percent in the value of its physical investment in the park, the 6 percent to be in the nature of a priority and if not earned was to be cumulative. The company was required to submit a schedule of all charges above 50 cents for the approval of the Secretary of the Interior, who could make such modifications as he deemed necessary so long as they were consistent with a reasonable profit on the investment made by the company. Concession employees were required to wear an identification badge, and the Secretary of the Interior was authorized to declare any person unfit or objectionable for employment by the company. 
The publicity surrounding the new concessioner and provision of visitor services, together with the removal of snow and opening of park roads by late June, contributed to an increase of visitation of more than fifteen percent in 1922. All told some 31,119 visitors entered the park in 9,429 private automobiles. In addition 995 visitors entered the park via transportation company stages, and 897 entered by other means, thus making the total park visitation 33,011. 
NPS Director Mather reported on the increasing popularity of Crater Lake National Park in 1923. With obvious pride in his accomplishments in terms of improving visitor facilities and services he stated:
The visitor facilities and physical improvements alluded to by Mather included the construction of a large combination mess hall and bunk house at Lost Creek for the use of early park visitors entering from the east. A 70-foot log boat landing had been constructed at Wizard Island. Two new flush toilet facilities with lavatories and oil-burning water heaters for hot showers were constructed at each of the campgrounds at the rim and Anna Spring.
An upgraded publicity program for the park was also initiated in 1923. The Southern Pacific Railroad and the Crater Lake National Park Company led the campaign. Superintendent Sparrow contributed to the publicity initiatives by preparing articles for publication in four national periodicals and various newspapers.
The new visitor facilities and the publicity efforts contributed to making 1923 the highest visitation year in Crater Lake's history to date. The total number of visitors increased by some 57 percent to 52,017. The western entrance continued to be the most popular. A new record for the largest single day's visitation through an entrance was established on September 2 with 235 cars carrying 884 visitors entering the park via the western gateway. Visitors came from every state but two, and from such places as Hawaii, Switzerland, and the Netherlands. There was a notable increase of visitors from California, the "number of first entry cars from that State during July equaling first entries from Oregon itself." 
Visitation to Crater Lake increased by another 24 percent in 1924 to 64,312. This increase, according to Mather, was the result of four factors: an early opening; the park's location almost midway in the Pacific Coast chain of parks extending from Sequoia to Mount Rainier; the improvement of approach roads; and "increased publicity, largely spontaneous, given by lovers of this Cascade gem."
Improvements to visitor facilities by the Crater Lake National Park Company continued to lure visitors to the park. During 1924 the addition (north annex) to the lodge was completed on the exterior, and 22 of the 85 new rooms were completed and furnished. A new 40-passenger launch was placed in service on the lake, and a new boathouse was constructed on Wizard Island. In addition the Kiser studio added a small wing to provide a one-day film developing and printing service. 
During the summer of 1924 the Community House was completed at the Rim Campground. Funds for the structure had originally been intended for construction of a new home for the superintendent, but Thomson diverted the money toward the visitor activity structure. The Community House had a large rustic fireplace and was provided with a Victrola by the Medford "Craters," a booster organization dedicated to promoting park development. The structure became the setting for informal evening gatherings, lectures, dancing, and musical programs, the latter featuring the "Kentucky Rangers" quartet consisting of four seasonal park rangers from that state. 
Prior to the 1925 travel season, R.W. Price, who had become president of the Crater Lake National Park Company, began an advertising campaign for the park. The campaign, which took the form of an annual trip that he continued until 1941, consisted of visits to railroad passenger and tour agencies throughout the eastern United States. His annual tours took him from Chicago to Washington, D.C., north to Boston, west to Buffalo and Cleveland, and back to Chicago. 
Travel to Crater Lake increased slightly to 65,018 in 1925. Of this total, some 98 percent traveled in their private automobiles. For the first time in its history Crater Lake entertained guests from every state in the union, as well as several foreign countries. This travel increase was significant because the 1925 season was five weeks shorter than that of 1924 because of adverse weather conditions.
Only minor improvements were made to visitor facilities in 1925. These included the completion and furnishing of nine rooms in the lodge, thus bringing its total to 92, eight new rowboats, and a complete sewage-disposal plant. 
With the increasing visitation the National Park Service implemented an extensive road sign information program at Crater Lake during the mid-1920s. In 1925, for instance, the park information circular, stated:
Visitation to Crater Lake continued its general upward trend from 1926 to 1931 with the exception of a slight decrease in 1927, the result o a shortened travel season because of some 51 feet of snow during the winter of 1927-28. During this six-year period visitation nearly doubled from 86,019 in 1926 to 170,284 in 1931, while the number of private automobiles entering the park more than doubled from 26,442 in 1926 to 56,189 in 1931. While the number of private automobiles entering the park increased, the number of persons entering by auto stage declined from 792 in 1926 to 535 in 1931.
Various factors contributed to this major increase in travel to the park. Road improvements both within and outside the park facilitated travel. In 1926 the Cascade line of the Shasta route of the Southern Pacific Railroad, connecting Eugene with Klamath Falls, was completed, thus bringing a rail terminal within about twenty miles of the park. That same year the Crater Lake National Park Company negotiated a fifteen-year contract with the Standard Oil Company to construct and operate a "stone-and-rustic" service station at the junction of Sand Creek and Anna Spring roads at Government Camp, thus providing a more centrally-located station for park visitors. Winter recreation opportunities in the park began receiving attention in 1927 with the commencement of the first annual ski race from Fort Klamath to Crater Lake Lodge and return sponsored by the Fort Klamath Community Club on February 22. Thereafter the ski race and accompanying winter carnival became an annual event, generating considerable interest in winter sports in the park and increasing pressures to keep park roads to the rim open as long as possible during the winter to afford tourists the opportunity of viewing the "beautiful and inspiring spectacle" of the lake in its "winter garb." 
The growth of park visitation was encouraged by the continuing development of improved visitor facilities in the rim area. In 1927 Park Service officials and representatives of the Crater Lake National Park Company and the Bureau of Public Roads developed a plan for rim area development. The plan provided that the concessionaire would construct and operate in the next year a cafeteria with a connecting general store for the sale of camping supplies and a group of rental cabins in the campground area away from the rim edge. Other improvements scheduled were an asphalt trail along the edge of the rim the full length of the village area; restoration of the soil between this promenade and the revetment to natural grasses and wildflowers; and construction of a wide parking area alongside a thirty-foot dustless road.
During 1928 the rim area was vastly improved. It was opened at the west boundary by the completion of a new road emerging at the rim edge. From there a new oiled drive led to the new cafeteria/general store and cabin group, campground, and lodge at the opposite end of a half-mile plaza. On each side of the boulevard an 18-foot parking strip was provided for several hundred automobiles. Along the edge of the rim a wide asphalt promenade was built for pedestrians and between this and the log parapet limited parking along the boulevard was an area of varying width graded for plant restoration. The group of fifteen housekeeping cabins was opened on July 15, and the new cafeteria/general store on July 20. A new Crater Wall trail was constructed from the west end of the Rim Campground to the lake "on high standards to permit the use of saddle animals, enabling many thousands to enjoy the lake who were heretofore denied that pleasure by physical incapacity." The trail was opened on July 6 with Secretary of the Interior Ray L. Wilbur leading the first party ever to descend to the lake on horseback. That same year the company added a veranda on the lake side of the lodge, introduced a 35-passenger launch on the lake, and made saddle horses available for rental. 
As a result of the rim area development in the 1920s park visitor facilities and accommodations became centered in what was referred to as Rim Village. A Park Service circular for 1930 described the physical development of the village:
The introduction of modern snow removal equipment in the park during the winter of 1929-30 aided the increasing park visitation. In 1930, for instance, the equipment permitted opening of the park on April 14, the earliest date for travel to be checked in the park's history. The new removal equipment allowed the park to publicize its intention to keep the park open until December, thus affording visitors the opportunity to view the lake throughout the fall season. 
The Crater Lake campgrounds became increasingly popular attractions for park visitors during the late 1920s. In 1927, for instance, Superintendent Thomson reported that 70 percent of the park visitors "took care of themselves in one or more of the ten campgrounds." The Rim Campground was the most popular, an average of 300 people using it each night.  By 1930 the number of visitors using the three principal park campgrounds were:
In addition a number of visitors used less structured camping places along the roads at White Horse, Cold Springs, and Sun Creek. 
Since the mid-1920s medical problems involving visitors and park employees had been referred to Dr. R.E. Green in Medford. With the increase in park visitation, however, it became imperative that a doctor and nurse be stationed in the park during the travel season. Accordingly, a three-year contract was awarded in 1930 to Dr. Fred N. Miller, head of the medical service at the University of Oregon at Eugene, to provide such services at Government Camp from June 15 to September 15 each season. 
During 1931 various new visitor facilities and services were introduced that served as further inducements to park travel. These included the introduction of naturalist-conducted boat trips on the lake and automobile caravan tours, launching of a new boat on the lake, construction of twenty new tourist cabins near the cafeteria and new docks at the bottom of the lake trail, location of a new organized campground at White Horse Creek, dedication of the Sinnott Memorial, and development of new trails to Garfield Peak and on Wizard Island. 
After more than eight years of operation in the park the Kiser Studio was closed when its concession contract expired on December 31, 1929. As a result of financial difficulties and increasing competition for the photographic souvenir market by the Crater Lake National Park Company, the studio was operated during 1929 by the stockholders of Kiser's, Incorporated, the successor of the Scenic America Company. Although Fred H. Kiser and the Bear Film Company applied for a new studio franchise in 1929, the Park Service did not issue a new permit, and the studio was converted into a visitor contact/information facility in 1930. That year the Crater Lake National Park Company opened a photographic studio in the general store/cafeteria building in addition to a small photo shop in the lodge. 
Visitation to Crater Lake slumped to 109,738 in 1932, a decrease of some 35.6 percent compared with the totals for the previous year. Travel by automobile stage totalled 302, a reduction of 42.5 percent from that of 1931. The five main park campgrounds (Rim, Annie Spring, Lost Creek, Cold Spring, and White Horse) were utilized by 11,324 visitors, a drop of 30.7 percent. The volume of business of the park concessioner was cut by approximately 50 percent, and the company's ledgers showed a net loss for the season s operations.
The reduced travel figures were attributed to various causes by Superintendent Solinsky, the chief of which was the national economic downturn. Cold and unusual weather played a significant role in the reduced travel figures. All snowfall records were broken during the winter of 1931-32 as an estimated 85 to 90 feet of snow fell at the rim, and early spring visitors found 20 feet of snow on the level at the rim. Large numbers of tourists from the Pacific Coast states, which traditionally provided the bulk of park visitors, were attracted to Los Angeles for the Olympic Games. 
Park visitation continued its downward slide to 96,512 in 1933, but then rebounded to 118,699 in 1934 as the nation's economic woes began to ease. The visitation increase in 1934 was attributed by Acting Superintendent Canfield in part to a "very light winter, the mildest on record since meteorological observations have been maintained throughout the year in the Park." The mild winter allowed access to the park by the public for eleven months compared with the previous maximum of eight. Because of the mild winter and extensive use of the park for winter sports by residents of nearby communities, a winter Ski Carnival was held near Government Camp on March 18, 1934. As a result of the success of this meet Canfield observed that "it is apparent that a great deal of pressure will be brought to bear to keep the Park regularly open for winter consideration." Public interest in keeping the park open in winter was encouraged by articles in national periodicals such as Canfield's "Crater Lake In Winter" published in American Forests in February 1934. 
With several exceptions park visitation continued a general upward trend from 1935 to 1941, primarily as a result of improvement in the national economy and year-round operation of the park beginning in the winter of 1935-36. The number of visitors nearly tripled during this period, rising from 107,701 in 1935 to 273,564 in 1941 with an average of some 225,000 during the four years before Pearl Harbor. 
Improvement of the national economy and its effects on Crater Lake visitation were apparent by 1935. In July Superintendent Canfield observed:
During the winter of 1935-36 the highways to the park from Medford and Klamath Falls were kept open, thus making the park accessible to motorists the entire year for the first time in Crater Lake history. Commenting on the year-round operation of the park and its impact on visitation Superintendent Canfield wrote in July 1936:
The increasing winter visitation to Crater Lake continued to attract favorable comment from park management. In July 1937, for instance, Superintendent Canfield observed:
The increasing visitation overtaxed the park campgrounds. Thus, preliminary work was undertaken in 1937 to double the size of the Rim Campground. Of particular concern to park management was the increasing number of house trailers that monopolized camp sites without actually using the stoves, fireplaces, and tables. 
The Crater Lake National Park Company made various improvements to its facilities and services in 1936-37 to meet the increasing demands of the growing park visitation. All rooms on the third floor of the lodge were completed, and ten uncompleted rooms on the second floor were finished in 1936. With the completion of the ten rooms the entire second floor was completed. In 1937 the lodge lobby underwent alterations, two 20-passenger buses were added to the stage fleet, and six new rowboats were placed on the lake. At the same time the inadequate heating system of the cafeteria was criticized by Park Service officials. The small housekeeping cabins were also characterized as being inadequate from the "standpoint of appearance," "poorly arranged," "disagreeable to occupy," and lacking "many other customary accommodations that are to be found in the better type of park operator's development." 
In July 1938 Ernest P. Leavitt, the new park superintendent, reported on the growing visitation to Crater Lake and its impact on park facilities. He observed that the "new all time record" of 204,725 visitors could be attributed
He went on to state that in spite
During the period from December 1, 1937, to April 30, 1938, park personnel conducted a survey to determine why winter visitors came to the park. Of the 13,283 visitors entering the park during that period, 5,922 came for winter sports, while 5,825 were attracted by the scenic beauty of the lake. The remainder made use of park roads for travel between the Rogue River and Klamath valleys. Winter travel showed a wide geographic distribution, visitors coming from 32 states, one territory, and 5 foreign countries.
Aside from winter travel, the number of summer visitors was also increasing, thus crowding visitor facilities. During fiscal year 1938, for instance, peak visitor loads on the Fourth of July and Labor Day weekends crowded to capacity the accommodations afforded at the lodge, housekeeping cabins, cafeteria, and campground. On several other occasions throughout the summer all visitor facilities were crowded.
To keep pace with the rising tourism the Crater Lake National Park Company made improvements to its facilities. In 1938, for instance, various improvements were made to the housing arrangements in the lodge, including the elimination of fire hazards, expansion of launch and rowboat facilities, and installation of a laundry in the basement of the lodge. 
Winter use of Crater Lake National Park continued to increase during the late 1930s, thus prompting the Park Service to upgrade its public service, health, and safety standards during the winter months. These efforts, which had been commenced during the winter of 1937-38, were finalized during 1938-39. Thus in April 1939 Superintendent Leavitt reported that the past winter had been the first "where the standards of the National Park Service were met in connection with public service,public health, and public safety." In elaborating on this theme observed:
In addition a permit was granted to the Yellow Cab Company to operate up to five taxicabs in transporting visitors from Medford to the park during the winter. 
Winter sports programs in the park continued to be conducted in line with National Park Service policy, "special facilities and meets" not being provided or encouraged. During the winter of 1938-39, however, the Chiloquin Ski Club was permitted to operate on an experimental basis a portable electric ski lift on the lower slopes of the "ski bowl" near the lodge. As a result of the popularity of the lift and its apparent lack of impact on park resources, Leavitt urged that the lift be permitted to operate again the following winter.
By providing such winter visitor services and accommodations Leavitt felt that the park was building "good will throughout the state and local communities." At the same time he observed that there was "no great amount of warmth or friendly feeling among local groups for the park operator." This animosity existed despite various improvements in concession services and general rate reductions put into effect in 1939. 
The two years before American entry into World War II were banner travel seasons at Crater Lake National Park. Visitation reached all-time records to date with 252,482 visitors in 1940 and 273,564 in 1941. The summer recreational opportunities that attracted visitors in increasing numbers were, according to Superintendent Leavitt, hiking, auto touring, camping, boating, and fishing. The park trails in their order of popularity were the Crater Wall Trail, Watchman Lookout, Garfield Peak, Wizard Island, and Mount Scott. Winter visitation exceeded totals for previous years by nearly 50 percent, aided in part by the operation of a portable ski lift and two small gasoline-powered lifts on most weekends by the newly-organized Crater Lake Ski Club.  During these years the Crater Lake National Park Company installed new beds and mattresses in the lodge and made improvements to the housekeeping cabins, including placement of the beds and mattresses formerly in the lodge and installation of electric hot plates, oil heaters, and running cold water. Launch and rowboat facirities were improved. A permit was granted to the White Star and Hurry Cab Taxi Company in 1940 to provide transportation between Klamath Falls and Crater Lake during the winter months when the park concessioner was not operating its auto stages. 
On April 26, 1941, the National Park Service let a new 20-year contract (covering the period from January 1, 1941 to December 31, 1960) to the Crater Lake National Park Company. Under the terms of the agreement the company was authorized to:
The company was required to pay an annual fee of $500 plus 22-1/2 percent of excess over a 6 percent profit margin. 
The company made a number of improvements to its facilities in 1941. Private toilets were added to the 22 sleeping cabins at the rim, and other exterior and interior improvements were made. Two four-room deluxe cabin units were constructed for which maid service was furnished Each room was equipped with hot and cold running water, electric lights, private toilet and shower, automatic thermostat-controlled hot water and heat, one double bed, and two half beds. Steps were taken to correct the lodge sewage disposal problem, since water samples at the rim had shown evidence of contamination. Lodge rooms continued to be refurnished, such work being completed by early 1942. 
Wartime conditions, together with tire and gasoline rationing, resulted in drastic reductions to park visitation during the war years. Statistics indicate that park visitation for these years was 100,079 in 1942, 28,637 in 1943, 42,385 in 1944, and 77,864 in 1945. Beginning on November 23, 1942, the park was closed from mid-November to late June each year as a result of budget and personnel reductions and inability of the park staff to provide snow removal and visitor safety services. The concessioner closed the lodge and other visitor services in 1943 and did not resume such operations for the remainder of the war. Limited meal service was provided in the park headquarters dining room operated under contract by the aforementioned Robert P. Berry. 
During the war Crater Lake was visited by large numbers of military personnel from Navy and Marine facilities at Klamath Falls and Camp White, a U.S. Army base at Medford. The automobile permit fee of $1.00 per car charged to all visitors was suspended for automobiles carrying members of the armed forces, and campground and other special privileges were made available to them. Whenever a group arrived at the park a member of the staff was assigned to assist in its visit. Special literature was printed for distribution to military personnel. Park records indicate that 35,514 members of the armed forces visited the park during the war, not counting the families and friends that accompanied them. 
When Crater Lake was reopened on a year-round basis on July 1, 1946, visitation quickly returned to prewar levels. For the remainder of the 1940s visitation averaged approximately 250,000 annually. According to Superintendent Leavitt resumption of year-round operation and service to the traveling public by the Crater Lake National Park Company
The company opened for business on June 15 and offered a full range of summer services until September 19. The season provided the "finest business in the history of the company," and the profits provided urgently needed funds with which to carry out many projects involving fire protection and safety in the lodge as well as replacement of cooking ranges and steam tables.  One of the innovations during the 1946 season was the subcontract entered into by the company with Scenery Unlimited of Berkeley, California, whereby the company brought a 35-passenger bus load of tourists to the park every two weeks as part of an excursion tour from San Francisco to Seattle up the coast and returning via the inland valley route. The experimental program was successful enough to have the subcontract renewed for 1947.
The company was requested by NPS Director Drury to provide winter services in the park during 1946-47. Accordingly, the company rented the park headquarters messhall and bunkhouse building and began furnishing meals and limited lodgings to park visitors and non-housekeeping employees of the Park Service on December 14. The company also entered into a subcontract with A.L. Vincze of Klamath Falls to provide a rope ski tow on the bowl below the lodge, limited ski equipment rental and ski lesson services, and transportation between park headquarters and the rim area. 
The return of large numbers of tourists to the park during the postwar years brought with it new problems for park management. The park was confronted with a new breed of park visitor as described by Superintendent Leavitt:
During the winters of 1947-48 and 1948-49 Crater Lake was operated on a day-use only basis. This experimental program meant that meals, lodging, and garage service had to be obtained outside the park with the exception of luncheon services provided at the Community House on Sundays and holidays. In commenting on the advantages and complaints generated by this experiment, Leavitt wrote on June 1, 1949:
During the late 1940s long-standing problems between the National Park Service and the Crater Lake National Park Company came to a head. In June 1949 Superintendent Leavitt reported:
One of the attempts by R.W. Price, president of the Crater Lake National Park Company, to sell the concession occurred in April 1948. It was announced that the company was being sold to the Michael E. Lee family of Oakland, California. A former real estate operator in Portland before moving to California, Lee had considerable experience in hotel management. The financial negotiations, however, fell through the following month, and R.W. Price, who had wanted to retire, continued as president and principal stockholder of the firm. 
Crater Lake National Park Company
Memorandum for the Director, Chief of Concessions, June 23, 1948, RG 79, Central Files, 1933-49, File No. 900-06, National Park Service, Rates Crater Lake Park Co., 1948.
Large numbers of tourists were attracted to Crater Lake during the winter of 1949 when the lake froze over for the first time in recorded history. The lake was solidly frozen to depths ranging from 2 to 12 inches and snow-covered from February to April. The freeze aroused "widespread interest," and, according to the Annual Report of the Director of the National Park Service, "visitors to the park, many of whom were attracted there by this unusual occurrence, beheld an expanse of white in place of the sapphire waters so justly famous." 
Increasing amounts of leisure time, higher levels of income, and improved transportation-related facilities contributed to rising park visitation during the 1950s. The annual average for the decade was more than one-third million, the totals ranging from a low of 306,668 in 1951 to a high of 370,554 in 1954. This rising visitation was encouraged by increasing exposure of the park in national travel periodicals such as Travel and Sunset. The growth in visitation led to innovations in entrance checking procedures, the most significant being issuance of entrance permits by machine in 1953. 
During the summer of 1950 a survey was conducted by the U.S. Department of the Interior at Crater Lake National Park and Oregon Caves National Monument. The purpose of the survey was to determine tourist expenditures and travel occasioned by the two areas and examine the economic impact that they had in the general economy of the Rogue River Basin. The study provided a statistical breakdown of the travel flow through the park:
Other data obtained by the study included:
Vacation travel resulted in an expenditure of $3,945,000 within the southwestern section of Oregon. 
The 1950s witnessed considerable turmoil and change in the concession arrangements in Crater Lake National Park. In May 1950 Superintendent Leavitt referred to some of the problems that the Park Service was having with the Crater Lake National Park Company:
During 1950-51 relations between the Crater Lake National Park Company and the traveling public, Park Service, and company employees "reached a new low." Superintendent Leavitt noted, however, that there had been a "lack of cooperation on the part of the company with the National Park Service" for many years. A special effort to improve these conditions was undertaken on May 7, 1951, at a meeting held in Portland with NPS and company officials in attendance. As a result assurances were given by the company "that every effort would be made at once to improve relations" in the aforementioned three problem areas. 
The Crater Lake National Park Company was sold by R.W. Price in 1954 to Harry W. and Harry C. Smith, father and son restaurant operators from Spokane, Washington. The new proprietors made various improvements to concession facilities during the five years they owned the company. A new addition to the cafeteria was completed in 1956, and the dining room, lounge, lobby, sales area, and nine guest rooms in the lodge were remodeled during 1957-58. Other refinements were made to the lodge, and newspapers heralded the fact that it had 114 rooms able to accommodate 294 people and 90 employees. In 1958 the Standard Oil Company constructed a new service station and employees' dormitory at park headquarters under the terms of its subcontract. 
On June 4, 1959, Ralph O. Peyton and James M. Griffin of Portland purchased the Crater Lake National Park Company. Their firm, Crater Lake Lodge, Inc., did not begin operating the park concession, however, until October 1. One of the first innovations introduced by the new owners was a temporary tent-top wood frame-and-floor structure to serve as an ice-salon and staple grocery supply point near the Mazama Campground for the 1960 season. 
As the existing concession contract was nearing expiration on December 31, 1960, Park Service officials entered into negotiations with Peyton and Griffin concerning new contractual arrangements. One of the principal issues discussed in these meetings was the deteriorating condition and future use of the lodge. Both sides felt that the lodge was not worth expending large sums for rehabilitation, modernization, and fire-proofing. For a period of time the Park Service considered purchasing the outmoded lodge and converting it into a visitor center with a museum, information room, and auditorium for lectures. If this were done the concessioner would build a two-story, 250-guest motel across the parking area east of the lodge and construct additional dining facilities. Nothing came of these negotiations, and a new contract was approved for the park concession in Fate 1960. 
Park visitation continued to increase during the 1960s with an average annual total of nearly 500,000 for the decade. The highest annual total for the period occurred in 1962 when 592,124 persons entered the park. Superintendent Yeager attributed that figure, which was more than 175,000 above the previous high, to two articles on the park that were printed in the July issue of National Geographic combined with travel to and from the World's Fair at Seattle from April 21 to October 21. Throughout the decade park visitation was encouraged by articles in national periodicals. 
During the 1960s various visitation studies were conducted by the National Park Service to determine visitor use patterns. One such study was conducted in connection with the park master plan during the summer of 1964. An analysis of the 1963 visitor totals revealed that 346,009 of the year's total visitation of 475,684 entered the park in July, August, and September for a daily average of 3,761. The study found that 83.4 percent of park visitors were from three states: California (45%), Oregon (29%), and Washington (9.4%). During the previous winter more than 90 percent of park visitors had come from the three states. Visitation by various group types was composed primarily of the single car family, although bus tours arrived regularly during the summer. Single entry use constituted more than 99 percent of all permit sales. Fifteen percent of summer visitors stayed in the park overnight, 34 percent staying at the lodge and cabins and 66 percent in the campgrounds. During the summer season 60 percent of park visitors spent 1 to 4 hours in the park and 20 percent 4 to 8 hours. In winter 80 percent of the visitors spent 2 to 4 hours in the park. 
In 1968 a more detailed analysis of park visitation and visitor use trends was undertaken. The study indicated:
Significant trends in park use for the 1958-68 decade were:
Despite such trends park management concluded:
The Mission 66 program at Crater Lake included a variety of improvements to facilities and services designed to upgrade the quality of the "visitor experience" in the park. The elements of this "experience" were ably described in the annual park handbook. For the purpose of understanding the "visitor experience" in the park as a result of the Mission 66 program the 1965 edition of the handbook will be used. (A map of the park in 1965 may be seen below.)
Park orientation revolved around two loci. These were the Exhibit Building in Rim Village and the Sinnott Memorial. Orientation was also provided during the evening campfire programs.
The handbook contained pointers on how the visitor could explore the park on his own via roads and trails. Interpretive markers were placed at many turnouts along the park roads. Among the points of interest that the visitor could explore on his own were Rim Drive, the Pinnacles, Cloudcap, and the Pumice Desert. Launch trips around the lake and boat trips to Wizard Island were highlights of any trip to Crater Lake.
A number of hiking trails were available to bring the visitor into close contact with nature. The recently-constructed 1.1-mile Cleetwood Trail, located on the northeast wall above Cleetwood Cove, led to the lakeshore from where the launches embarked. Trails led to Garfield Peak, Discovery Point, the Watchman, and Mount Scott. A self-guiding nature trail led through the Castle Crest Wildflower Garden less than one-half mile from park headquarters.
The naturalist program, described elsewhere in this study, consisted of four principal elements. These were information, lectures, campfire programs, and guided trips.
The handbook contained information that pertained solely to winter visits. The Park Service maintained two ski trails from Rim Village to park headquarters. On weekends and holidays from mid-September to mid-June the coffee shop at Rim Village offered light refreshments and souvenirs. Overnight accommodations were available at several locations near the park. The south and west entrances were maintained as all-year roads, while the north entrance and Rim Drive were closed from late September to July 1.
Free and non-reserved campgrounds were open from about July 1 to September 30, depending on snow conditions. Mazama and Annie Spring campgrounds, near the junction of the south and west entrance roads, and Rim Village Campground had fireplaces, tables, water, and flush toilets. Lost Creek Campground, on the road to The Pinnacles, had fireplaces, tables, water, and pit toilets. No utility connections were available for house trailers. The lodge and cabins at Rim Village were open from mid-June to mid-September. There were eight picnic areas equipped with tables and pit toilets.
The handbook listed a variety of services in the park. The lodge dining room was open during the same period that the lodge was in operation. In summer the cafeteria in Rim Village served meals from 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. During the winter it operated as a coffee shop on weekends and holidays. Groceries were available at the cafeteria. Rowboats and fishing supplies could be rented at the boat landing at the foot of Cleetwood Trail. A branch post office was located in the Administration Building at park headquarters. Protestant church services and Sunday School were conducted at Community House in Rim Village and at the amphitheater in Mazama Campground. Several 2-1/2-hour launch trips were provided each day, and scenic bus trips around Rim Drive, beginning at the lodge, were scheduled daily. A gasoline station was open during the summer near park headquarters. 
Peyton and Griffin continued to make improvements to the lodge during the late 1960s. During 1965-67 it was refurbished with new carpeting and furniture. In 1967 a partial sprinkler system was installed primarily to protect the lobby area against fire. 
While these improvements were underway the National Park Service negotiated a new 30-year contract with Crater Lake Lodge, Inc. The contract contained the usual provisions for the concessioner to provide lodging, food and beverage, transportation, service station, boat, and merchandizing services in the park. One of the innovations in the contract, however, provided that the concessioner would operate the park campgrounds on a fee basis with a reservation system. This set a precedent in National Park Service history since Crater Lake was the first park to introduce concessioner-operated fee campgrounds. The company also agreed to contract and operate a trailer village. 
Subsequently, Peyton and Griffin announced a $2,000,000, nine-year building program at Crater Lake. The ambitious plans, most of which were never fulfilled, included a 100-site trailer village adjacent to Mazama Campground, a 50-unit motel with coffee and gift shop at Munson Valley, replacement of the existing Rim Village cold-water cabins with modern single-family units, expansion of the existing cafeteria and gift shop, construction of a new 160-employee dormitory at Rim Village, and reconstruction of the lodge into a low-profile structure of 50-60 rooms having spacious dining and recreation facilities. 
Backcountry hiking became an increasingly popular form of recreation activity at Crater Lake during the late 1960s. This phenomenon was especially true after Congressional establishment of the Pacific Crest Trail on October 2, 1968. The trail extended for 33 miles through the park on its 2,350-mile circuit along the mountain ranges of the West Coast states from the Mexican-California border to the Canadian-Washington border.  Later in 1970 the fire access trails tha had been constructed in the 1930s were converted for use as backcountry hiking trails.
Visitation to Crater Lake during the 1970s averaged nearly 540,000 per year. The highest totals were 606,636 in 1976 and 617,479 in 1977 when Bicentennial-related travel contributed to rising visitation levels throughout the National Park System. The lowest visitation of the decade occurred in 1975 when only 427,252 persons entered the park as the result of the water contamination crisis that closed the park for 21 days. Other factors that affected visitation levels during the 1970s were sporadic gasoline shortages and the rising cost of fuel.
In July 1977 the National Park Service conducted a visitor use study of the park. Included in the study was an analysis of existing visitor use patterns. Among the findings of the study were:
In July 1975 some 1,500 park visitors and employees became sick as a result of sewage contamination of the park's water supply system. This necessitated the closure of the park for three weeks. Crater Lake Lodge, Inc., and Ralph Peyton were co-defendants in the ensuing litigation. Although their defense attorneys argued that the federal government, not the concessionaire, was ultimately responsible for the illness of park visitors, the jury decided that Peyton and his company demonstrated "wanton misconduct" in not warning guests of the outbreak of illness among concession employees.
Following the epidemic outbreak, the concession rights in the park were sold for $1,900,000 to the Canteen Company of Oregon, a subsidiary of Trans World Airlines, on March 1, 1976. Among the conditions incorporated in the terms of the transfer by the National Park Service were the following: (1) no possessory interest to be allocated the concessioner in 19 cold water cabins; (2) cold water cabins and two fourplex units to be removed within ten years; and (3) concessioner contract to be rewritten in compliance with the park's master plan provisions. Under the provisions of the contract for concession privileges in the park, the National Park Service owns the lodge subject to the small possessory interest gained by the concessioner through the subsequent installation of a sprinkler system. 
The current status of visitor services and facilities is reflected in the park's "Statement for Management" approved in October 1986. The document states that a "majority of the visitors come to the park to see the lake, may stop at some of the pullouts along park roads, and may participate in interpretive programs offered primarily in the Rim Village area." Two automobile campgrounds provide 210 sites. Mazama Campground (198 sites) has modern, cold-water comfort stations and an amphitheater for evening programs, while Lost Creek Campground (12 sites) is more primitive. Mazama is operated by the park concessioner and is sometimes the recipient of complaints since it lacks hot water and showers.
The Rim Village area is a complex of isolated structures dating primarily from the 1920s and 1950s that are connected by a network of roads, extensive parking areas, and walkways. Although originally developed as a rim promenade from which to view the lake, increasing visitation led to periodic expansion of parking and related facilities. At the present time pedestrians along the rim must remain cognizant of traffic movement and must cross busy traffic lanes and parking areas to reach many of the lake viewpoints and park facilities.
The concessioner operates 20 cold-water cabins behind the cafeteria building and the 80-room lodge, which are available to visitors for approximately 90 days each summer season. The lodge contains some substandard rooms and has various structural defects, conditions which have led to extensive debate and study during the 1980s as to the economic feasibility of rehabilitating and restoring the historic structure for continuing use.  The concessioner also operates a cafeteria/curio shop in Rim Village on a year-round basis and a summer season service station in Munson Valley, and provides bus tours around the Rim Drive and boat tours on the lake.
NPS facilities in Rim Village are limited. The old Community Building, now referred to as the Rim Center, serves as an auditorium for summer interpretive programs. The facilities are minimal, however, and the location does not attract heavy use. The structure was damaged severely by heavy snows during the winter of 1982-83 and currently is unsafe for winter use.
The Exhibit Building, a small structure on the rim now referred to as the Rim Visitor Center, is in an obscure location and visitation is low. This structure nevertheless serves as the principal contact point between NPS personnel and park visitors with the exception of the entrance stations. The building contains a small information and sales area and minimal exhibits.
The nearby Sinnott Memorial offers spectacular views of the lake. Regularly scheduled talks on the formation of the lake are given here, and a small exhibit room emphasizes the geological processes that created the lake. Access to the structure is via a steep path and stairs, and it is only open during the summer. 
The interim development concept plan that was adopted for the Annie Spring-Rim Village corridor in April 1985 calls for the expansion of visitor services and facilities in that area. The plan provides for the development of expanded camper services adjacent to the Mazama Campground in the area south of the campground entrance road, including a general store, snack service, shower and laundry facilities, gas station, and registration office for some 20-36 budget cabins. These cabins are to be constructed next to the campground and camper services facility, replacing the deteriorated cold water cabins in the Rim Village area. The plan also provides for the addition of up to fifty individual sites in the Mazama Campground and consideration of at least one nearby group campsite, pending further study and evaluation. Among the improvements contemplated at Rim Village are removal of the dilapidated cold water cabins behind the cafeteria building and the Community Building and development of a new interpretive facility plus an alternative for developing exhibits on park history on the second floor of the lodge. Improvements have been commenced on the lodge, including installation of a fire suppression sprinkler system to ensure the safety of visitors while ongoing studies are being undertaken to provide information on the economic and engineering feasibility of rehabilitating the existing lodge for "rustic" accommodations and provide additional information to facilitate continued evaluation of various options for possible adaptive uses and/or disposition of the structure. 
Schedule of Basic Rates, 1938
Address of Park Operator
Summer: Crater Lake National Park, Medford, Oregon.
Opening date June 15, 1938
Schedule of Basic Rates for the Season of 1938
All the rates of the authorized public utilities for service within the park are approved by the Government. They are subject to change without notice. The National Park Service has no direct supervision over the rates or services given outside of the park; such rates, where shown, are furnished for the information of the public. Employees of transportation lines, hotels, camps and stores are not Government employees.
The Crater Lake National Park Company will operate regular daily automobile service from Medford and Klamath Falls, Oregon, to Crater Lake Lodge on the rim of the lake, and return to the same or other entrance gateway as desired; round trip, with lake boat trip privilege, per person . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $8.00
Round trip from either Medford or Klamath Falls and return for private parties, plus the regular stage fare for the number of people occupying the car, per day . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $16.00
From Medford: Automobile stages leave the Southern Pacific Depot at 9:00 A. M. Stages call at all hotels before starting for park. Stages arrive at Crater Lake Lodge at 11:30 A. M.
Returning to Medford, automobile stages leave Crater Lake Lodge at 3:00 P. M., arriving in Medford at 5:30 P. M.
From Klamath Falls: Automobile stages leave railroad depot and call at the principal hotels at 8:00 A. M., and arrive at Crater Lake at 10:00 A. M.
Returning to Klamath Falls, automobile stages leave Crater Lake Lodge at 4:45 P. M., arriving at Klamath Falls about 6:30 P. M.
Note: Revision in railroad time schedules may alter slightly the above stage schedules. However, visitors need not be concerned over slight changes, as the stages will meet both the northbound and southbound morning trains arriving in Klamath Falls daily; similarly will meet the northbound and southbound trains into Medford; and outgoing stages will depart for Medford and Klamath Falls each afternoon in time to meet outgoing trains at these points.
The Crater Lake National Park Company operates an automobile service at the lodge available for hire within the park. Regular trips within the park are made at the following rates:
Launches and Rowboats:
The Crater Lake National Park Company operates a launch and rowboat service at the lake, which is available from July 1 until the day after Labor Day. Regular trips are made at the following rates:
A complete line of suitable fishing tackle is available at the boat landing for purchase or rental.
Automobile Repair Rates:
Mechanic's time, per hour, $1.50; new parts, list price plus transportation charges.
Gasoline and lubricants are available at the service station near Park Headquarters throughout the season.
Crater Lake Lodge, on the rim of the lake, furnishes complete hotel service. It is of stone and frame construction and contains 105 sleeping rooms, a large number with baths. The rates are as follows:
Meals for guests not occupying room:
Guests wishing to take meals at Cafeteria instead of Lodge Dining Room will be charged European Plan rate.
It is expressly understood that where connecting rooms have access to private bath, each room is to be considered as having private bath, unless one or more of the rooms are locked off from bathroom. Children under eight years of age are charged half rates; children eight years of age or more are charged full rates. Babes in arms, no charge.
Modern housekeeping cabins may be rented by the day and are located in close proximity to the cafeteria and store. Rates for this service are as follows:
A large stone building, located on the new village site at the rim, houses the cafeteria, store, and studio, where provisions, tourists' supplies, fishing tackle, etc., are sold at reasonable rates.
During the height of the tourist season, the cafeteria is open between the hours of 6:30 A. M. and 9:00 P. M. The same standard of meals may be secured at the cafeteria as at the lodge, and at reasonable rates.
The new modern photographic studio in the cafeteria building has on sale photographic souvenirs, post cards, enlargements done in oil, camera supplies, etc. A quick developing service is also maintained for the convenience of park visitors.
RG 79, Central Files, 1933-39, File No. 900-06, Crater Lake Co., Part 1, Crater Lake, Public Utility Operators, Crater Lake National Park Co., Rates, 1938.
Schedule of Basic Rates, 1948
Address of Park Operator
Summer: Crater Lake, Oregon
SCHEDULE OF BASIC RATES FOR THE SEASON OF 1948
All the rates of the authorized public utilities for service within the park are approved by the Government. Employees of the hotels, camps, and transportation lines are not Government employees. Any suggestions regarding service furnished by those public utilities should be made to the superintendent.
The National Park Service has no direct supervision over the rates or the service given outside the park: rates are furnished for the information or the public.
The Crater Lake National Park Company will operate regular daily automobile service from Grants Pass and Klamath Falls, Oregon to Crater Lake Lodge on the rim of the lake, and return to the same or other entrance gateway as desired: round trip with Sunset Drive trip,
Round trip from either Grants Pass or Klamath Falls and return for private parties, plus the regular stage fare for the number of people occupying the car, per day . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $20.00
Schedules for train and bus connections will be announced at a later date.
DINING ROOM MEALS
For patrons not stopping in the Hotel
A large stone building, housing the cafeteria, store, and studio, where provisions, tourists' supplies, etc., are sold is located on the new village site at the rim.
During the height of the tourist season, the cafeteria is open between the hours of 6:30 A.M. and 9:00 P.M. The same standard of meals may be secured at the cafeteria as at the Lodge.
The sleeping cabins may be rented by the day and are located in close proximity to the cafeteria and store. Rates for this service are as follows:
SLEEPING CABINS, Operated Under European Plan:
There are 22 sleeping cabins available at the rim. These are single room cabins, 12x16 feet in size and are equipped with cold running water, oil heater, electric lights, one double bed with linen and blankets, and 2 half beds with linen and blankets. Rates are as follows:
Deluxe Cottages, Operated Under European Plan:
There are also two unit deluxe cottages, containing 4 rooms each. Maid service is furnished and each room is equipped with hot and cold running water, electric lights, private toilet and shower, automatic hot water and heat thermostatically controlled, one double bed and 2 half beds with linen and blankets. Rates for these rooms are as follows:
Gasoline and Oil:
Gasoline and lubricants are available throughout the season at the service station near park headquarters, at following prices:
Service car for tire service, delivery of gas, oil or parts,
(one-half hour minimum) per hour . . . . . . . . . . . $3.00
Road service rates include use of tow car or service car and time of one man. When car is waiting, or while roadside repairs are being made, there will be no charge for the car, but the man's time will be charged for at shop rates. Shop rates will also be charged for time of extra man, if required, from the time he leaves the shop until his return.
Mechanics' Time, per hour . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 2.00
Launches and Rowboats:
The Crater Lake National Perk Company operates a launch and rowboat service at the Lake, which is available from July 1 until the day after Labor Day. This equipment has been inspected by the Bureau of Marine Inspection and Navigation for compliance with safety regulations. Regular trips are made at the following rates:
Around Phantom Ship and Wizard Island, about 15 miles; launches leave boat landing at 9:00 A.M. and 2:00 P.M; stop-over at island if desired, per person . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 3.00
Wizard Island and return; Launches leave boat landing hourly, beginning at 9:00 A.M.; stay on Island as long as desired; last launch leaves Island for return trip at 4:30 P.M. per person . . . . . . . . . . . $ 1.50
Rowboats for Fishing:
A launch will tow fishermen and their boats to fishing grounds. Launch will call for them at 4:30 P.M. for return to boat landing.
RG 79, Central Files, 1933-49, File No. 900-02, Part 3, National Park Service, Crater Lake Park Company, Contract, 1948.
Crater Lake National Park Annual Visitation
Last Updated: 13-Aug-2010