|1781|| On the morning of January 17, a
Patriot force under Brigadier General Daniel Morgan defeated a British
army under Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton at the Battle of Cowpens
in South Carolina. This Patriot victory was a major link in the chain of
events that led to the British surrender at Yorktown, Virginia, the
|1803|| Daniel McClaren became the first
private owner of the Cowpens battleground when he acquired the property
from the State of South Carolina.|
|1856|| In April the Washington Light
Infantry of Charleston, South Carolina, visited Spartanburg District and
erected a monument at the Cowpens battleground. Three months later, a
group of Spartanburg ladies raised funds and purchased the one-acre
tract with the monument on behalf of the Washington Light
|1861|| On the battle's anniversary, a crowd
of two thousand gathered to hear speeches by local leaders to show
support for South Carolina's secession from the Union the previous
|1881|| On May 11 the Daniel Morgan Monument
was unveiled in Spartanburg during a centennial celebration sponsored by
the Washington Light Infantry and the citizens of Spartanburg County.
The statue of Morgan was partially funded through an 1880 federal
appropriation, one of eight monument appropriations during the
centennial of the American Revolution.|
|1928|| In April the Washington Light
Infantry deeded its one-acre monument tract to the Cowpens Chapter of
the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution
(NSDAR), which had agreed to act as custodian of the property.|
|1929|| President Herbert C. Hoover signed
House Resolution 12106 into law on March 4, creating a national
battlefield site at Cowpens under the administration of the War
|1930|| The Daniel Morgan Chapter, NSDAR,
raised funds and purchased a one-acre tract of land on July 10. The
chapter donated the property to the federal government for the national
battlefield site on November 18.|
|1932|| Designed and erected by the War
Department, the U.S. Monument at Cowpens was dedicated during a
NSDAR-sponsored ceremony on June 14.|
|1933|| In June President Franklin D.
Roosevelt signed Executive Order 6166, which transferred all national
military parks and national battlefield sites from the War Department to
the National Park Service.|
|1936|| General V. Price, a local farmer, was
appointed the first custodian of Cowpens in August.|
The first master plan for Cowpens
was prepared by the National Park Service.
Oswald E. Camp became the first superintendent of Kings Mountain
National Military Park and Cowpens in December. Cowpens was administered
by the Kings Mountain superintendent until 1981.
|1938|| The Cowpens Chapter, NSDAR, completed
repairs on the Washington Light Infantry Monument and placed a new
marker with a bronze plaque nearby.|
|1940|| Harry R. Wilkins called a meeting of
Cherokee and Spartanburg County leaders with the purpose of forming a
committee to lobby the federal government for an expanded Cowpens
|1947|| A committee of prominent Gaffney
residents created a prospectus for a proposed national military park at
Cowpens. Harry R. Wilkins wrote a song about the battle in order to
publicize the battleground.|
|1951|| During March, the Fiske-Carter
Construction Company cleaned and repointed the U.S. Monument.|
|1952|| Between May and September, the
Sossamon Construction Company graded the Cowpens site to reduce steep
banks on the property.|
|1954|| The Cowpens Chapter, NSDAR, cleaned
and repaired the Washington Light Infantry Monument.|
|1955|| The first free interpretive folder
for Cowpens was produced.|
|1958|| On July 18 President Dwight D.
Eisenhower signed into law a bill increasing the site's authorized size
from one to two acres. The Daniel Morgan Chapter, NSDAR, purchased a
one-fourth-acre tract in 1956 and donated it to the site in
|1959|| Mission 66 improvements at Cowpens
were completed, including a parking lot, a paved walk, a flagpole,
interpretative display cases, an audio interpretive device, signage,
removal of the iron fence around the U.S. Monument, and
|1966|| An August article in The Gaffney
Ledger increased support for an expanded Cowpens and led to action
by South Carolina's congressional delegation.|
|1967|| General V. Price's son Henry Lee
Price took over the custodian position at Cowpens in October.|
|1968|| An initial assessment of Cowpens by
the National Park Service presented two options for expansion. The
park's acreage could be increased to 785 or 510 acres. Both options
would preserve the battlefield core, but only the larger acreage would
allow for the development of recreational facilities.|
|1970|| Field studies and a preliminary
development plan for the proposed enlargement of Cowpens were completed
and approved by the National Park Service.|
|1971|| Congressman Tom S. Gettys introduced
House Resolution 2160 to create a full-scale national battlefield at
Cowpens. Senator Ernest F. Hollings introduced companion legislation in
|1972|| Authorization of an enlarged Cowpens
was included in an omnibus bill that passed the Congress and was signed
into law by President Richard M. Nixon on April 11. Cowpens became a
national battlefield instead of a national battlefield site. Over five
million dollars was authorized to acquire approximately 845 acres and
develop the park.|
|1974|| A historic grounds and resource study
for Cowpens and an historic structure report for the Robert Scruggs
House were completed by National Park Service Historian Edwin C.
|1975|| The Denver Service Center of the
National Park Service completed a master plan and development concept
plan for Cowpens. |
The first full-time National Park
Service personnel at Cowpens came on duty in January. Development of the
Cowpens initiated its first Youth Conservation Corps program.
The U.S. Monument was relocated to the new visitor center as part of
the development of the national battlefield.
|1979|| Stabilization work was undertaken on
the Richard Scruggs House Ruin.|
The restoration of the Robert
Scruggs House was completed by Moretti Construction, Inc., of Charlotte,
The Washington Light Infantry Monument was restored.
The park's new facilities were
dedicated during the annual battle anniversary observance in January.
This year's observance was the most elaborate yet and marked the
beginning of weekend-long celebrations of the anniversary.
Cowpens became a free-standing unit of the national park system in
March. The Kings Mountain superintendent no longer administered the
site. Pat Stanek was the first superintendent of an independent
|1983|| The park began showing Daybreak at
the Cowpens. This audiovisual presentation was a cooperative venture
between the park and Arthur Magill.|
The park implemented its first
equal opportunity program with outreach efforts aimed at
n May the "Rebels and Redcoats of Cowpens" interpretive program was
held for the first time.
The National Park Service
clustered Cowpens and Ninety Six National Historic Site under the
administration of one superintendent.
The park completed its first resource management plan.
|1986|| The park held its first road race, an
event that developed into the "Race for the Grasshopper."|
A historic structure assessment
report was produced for the Robert Scruggs House by the Center for
Architectural Conservation at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
The park signed a cooperative agreement with the Cherokee County
Sheriff's Department, the Macedonia Volunteer Fire Department, and the
Cherokee County EMS.
|1992|| Masonry Stabilization Services
Corporation prepared a conditions assessment for the park's two
The Robert Scruggs House was
stabilized with the installation of a new roof, the re-chinking of
the walls, and the replacement of certain log features with nonhistoric
The first annual Fourth of July celebration was held at the park.
The park offered living history demonstrations at the Scruggs
A teacher guide for Cowpens was completed by Dr. Anita P. Davis of
|1994|| The park initiated a junior ranger
The administrative office was
relocated from the visitor center to one of the park's three houses. The
park had rented out these three houses until the federal rates proved
too high for the local market.
After the Daniel Morgan Water District announced its plans to place
a mobile home office on its tract within the park, Superintendent
Farrell Saunders worked out a compromise that provided office space for
the district in the park's administrative office.
|1996|| An audio tape tour of the battlefield
was produced as a sales item for visitors touring the site via the
automobile tour road.|
A project to rehabilitate the
park's trails was completed.
The park began using information on African-American participation
during the battle in its interpretive exhibits and
The park installed exhibit cases
to house its USS Cowpens exhibits.
Restrooms at the visitor center and the picnic area were
rehabilitated by Sossamon Construction Company.
|1999|| The visitor center rehabilitation
project was finished.|