Historic Sites and Buildings
Ownership and Administration (1961). Private.
Significance. The Miles Brewton House was designed by Architect Ezra Waite and built in 1765-69 for a prominent Charleston citizen from whom it takes its name. It is notable chiefly for its architectural excellence; such historical interest as the house possesses springs directly from its architectural distinction. Because it was the most splendid townhouse in Charleston, it was occupied as a military headquarters in two warsduring the Revolution by Sir Henry Clinton, and in the last days of the Civil War by Federal officers of the army of occupation.
Present Appearance (1961). The Miles Brewton House is generally conceded by authorities to be the best example of the "Charleston double house," and one noted architect calls it the "finest town house of the colonial period."  A two-story house of almost square design, it is covered by a sharply ridged, hipped roof, and the main facade is dominated by a two-story portico. The house is richly ornamented, both inside and out, with a wealth of details. 
Last Updated: 09-Jan-2005