Historic Sites and Buildings
This colonial mansion was built in 1759 by Col. John Vassall, Jr., and served as George Washington's headquarters for 9 months beginning in July 1775. More significantly, it was the home of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow from 1837 until his death in 1882. The furnishings reflect the period of the poet's residence. The property is owned by the Long fellow House Trust, which was formed in 1913 by members of the Dana and Longfellow families to preserve the structure as an outstanding historical monument and architectural example. It has been declared a Registered National Historic Landmark status (12/29/62) under the study of "Literature, Drama, and Music." in 1962 and designated Longfellow National Historic Site in 1972.
Last Updated: 09-Jan-2005