THE CASA GRANDE OF ARIZONA AS A LANDMARK ON THE DESERT, A GOVERNMENT RESERVATION, AND A NATIONAL MONUMENT
Casa Grande National Monument, situated in the Gila River valley of southern Arizona, protects the Casa Grande or great house and numerous other prehistoric remains. The initial discovery of the Casa Grande was made by Father Kino in 1694. Following the discovery, the site was visited by other explorers in the periods of Spanish and Anglo history in the Southwest. In 1892 a government reservation was established, and in 1918, through a Presidential Proclamation, Casa Grande became a National Monument. Since 1918, there have been many changes at the Monument including the erection of the present roof over the Casa Grande in 1932. Visitor attendance has increased greatly to around 75,000 in 1960.
Last Updated: 02-Nov-2009