THE PROMONTORY BRANCH STATIONS (continued)
Railroad use: June 1873 - October 12, 1901
The Seco townsite was established in June 1873 as a section station to accommodate the moving of facilities from Ten-Mile which is 3.6 miles east. Research did not reveal why a siding (Fig. 67) was built 1.5 miles west of the Seco townsite. The siding, unpretentious and apparently lacking any ancillary features or structures, was completed in September 1872.
The work crews and inhabitants of Seco were Chinese. Although no population figures are available, statistics comparable to Ombey or Bovine are probable, about 25 inhabitants maximum at any one time.
Vandalized Chinese dugouts (Fig. 68), a well, foundations, and fragments of Chinese ceramics and glass (Fig. 69) are evident today.
Railroad use: 1902 - 1906, 1916 -?
Nella was an uninhabited siding built in 1902 for service to local ranchers (Fig. 70). The siding was removed by the railroad in 1906, and relaid again in 1916. In 1917, a train car body and freight platform were present. Investigations located no cultural features or materials.
Railroad use: 1869 - 1873
Ten-Mile was a section station established in 1869 (Fig. 15). The name is derived from the distance west from the original Lake section buildings. The closest siding was two miles east at Monument. Railroad profiles locate a section house, train car body, and water tank at Ten-Mile. Railroad documents indicate that the section facilities at Ten-Mile were moved to the Seco townsite in 1873.
After 1900, with Seco and Ten-Mile abandoned, locals and newspapers often referred to both areas and possibly Nella as Ten-Mile.
Small amounts of disturbed soil and glass are evident today (Fig. 71).
Railroad use: 1869-1942
Contrary to Shearer (1885:185), who describes Monument as "a mere side track and Y for convenience of the (rail) road," existence here depended upon the Desert Salt Works. The rail spur to the plant, illustrated on the 1872 cadastral plat (Fig. 72), fails to show the wye. Noted by Shearer in 1885, the wye probably was installed ca. 1880. Rand McNally (1956) accounted for at least 25 people in Monument in 1876.
Monument Rock (from which the town was named), was submerged in the waters of the Great Salt Lake during the 19th century (Fig. 73). An account from the Pacific Tourist Guide attempts to console the weary desert passenger.
It is uncertain when the plant closed, but in later years Monument served as a freight siding for regional ranchers.
Today, a stone foundation of four rooms (Fig. 74), piles of lumber, and a remnant pattern of canals (Fig. 75) mark the site of the Salt Works. The area today is disturbed by recreational vehicle use and illegal artifact collecting. Discrete remains of the railroad era are difficult to identify.
Last Updated: 18-Jan-2008