STABILIZING STONE MASONRY WALLS
The records below contain stabilization information for Talus Unit No. 1, a small classic ruin in Chaco Canyon National Monument. They describe a method for stabilizing a distorted, prehistoric stone masonry wall (figs. 120-123).
Chaco Canyon National Monument. Date: July 27, 1959; Ruin: Talus Unit No. 1; Room 27; Wall (N. S. E. W.): NESW. Personnel on job: Joel Shiner and eight Navajos. References to publications and justifications for job: Unpublished notes by Paul Walter in 1933, and Margaret S. Woods in 1934. Their work was accomplished through the School of American Research.
Orientation, plan and type (situation, evidence of additional stories, period of construction relative to surrounding rooms, evidence of burning, etc.: Long rectangular room of two stories; masonry is Type II (tiered blocks and spalls). It is one of a half-dozen rooms which are in two rows.
Floor (floor type; additional notes): No floor present now.
Roof (roof type; additional notes): Ceiling of first floor shown by a ledge and by numerous beam holes. Roof of second floor is gone.
Details (notes on doorways, lintels, etc.): Doorways in south wall on first and second stories.
Ruin: Talus Unit No. 1; Date: July 27, 1959; Wall (N. S. E. W.): NSEW.
Condition on date when work started: Ancient masonry: North wall above the ledge leans precariously into the room. East and west walls have eroded and are loose at the top. Footings of all four walls are undercut by erosion. Beam holes are eroding where beams have decayed.
Repair or reconstruction previous to this work: None.
Materials, construction, and technique in making repairs or accomplishing job: Part of the center section of the leaning wall was removed. A horizontal slab of steel-reinforced concrete was poured so as to abut against the junction on the partition walls. Steel rods were fastened through both wall and slab with turnbuckles between. Using the turnbuckles, the wall was pulled back to nearly vertical position. The stones removed were then replaced in tinted cement. East and west walls had already been patched and strongly capped to bear the load. New stones were set in cement around the wall footings. The beam holes were patched in tinted cement.
Date work started: July 29, 1959; Date work finished: August 14, 1959; Work authorized by: Roland Richert, Archeologist.
Last Updated: 16-Apr-2007