Table of Contents
DoJ and US Army Facilities
Confinement and Ethnicity:
An Overview of World War II
Japanese American Relocation Sites
by J. Burton, M. Farrell, F. Lord, and R. Lord
Chapter 4 (continued)
Gila River Relocation Center
Administration, Hospital, and Warehouse Areas
In the central portion of the camp, between the
residential area and the South Side Canal, the concrete slab foundations
of the administration building and fire station are intact (Figure
4.25). Both building slabs have names and dates in the concrete (Table
4.1). There is also eight-sided concrete base that apparently held a
flagpole (Figure 4.26). Culverts southeast and southwest of the
administration area an along "D" street have several inscriptions that
include the official post office name for the relocation center (Rivers,
Ariz.) and a 1943 date (Figures 4.27 and 4.28). In the eastern portion
of Canal Camp, there is little evidence of the staff housing or hospital
buildings. However, the 21 concrete slab foundations from the warehouses
still remain (Figure 4.29).
Figure 4.25. Concrete slab of the Canal Camp fire station.
Figure 4.26. Flagpole base in administration area at Canal Camp.
Figure 4.27. Inscription in administration area at Canal Camp.
Figure 4.28. Inscription in administration area at Canal Camp.
Figure 4.29. Concrete slab of warehouse at Canal Camp.
Table 4.1. Inscriptions at Canal Camp.
|~ 1943 ~|
MAR 3, 1943
|HHM||Block 3 sidewalk|
| 8-1-A K. KUNISUYE ||Block 8 entry|
|In Japanese: "Showa 17 (1942) August Sakuyuki (surname)"||Block 8 pond|
|8-26-03 (?)||Block 13|
Feb 6, 1944
In Japanese: "KODA"
|Block 25 entry|
|Block 25 entry|