GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK
Indian Watchtower at Desert View (1932)
Located at the eastern end of the Grand Canyon South Rim, the building's form and construction were modeled after ancient Anasazi watchtowers. Colter spent months locating ruins and traveling overland to sketch and study the forms, construction and stonework. This seventy-foot tower was designed to take advantage of the sweeping views of the canyons. Based on two concentric circles connected with arching forms, the building's exterior features coursed sandstone alternating with bands of colored stone above a rubble base.18
Photograph by Laura Soulliere.